Re: [therightkey] Basically, it's about keeping the CAs honest

"Kyle Hamilton" <aerowolf@gmail.com> Tue, 14 February 2012 01:44 UTC

From: Kyle Hamilton <aerowolf@gmail.com>
To: Adam Back <adam@cypherspace.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:44:21 -0800
Cc: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>, therightkey@ietf.org, mrex@sap.com
Subject: Re: [therightkey] Basically, it's about keeping the CAs honest

If I were the voice of the user, I'd be arguing for the right to impose and enforce my own personal security policy, without interference from anyone else's attempts to shovel pay-to-play policies down my throat.  I'd be arguing for the ability to make a choice without having my software libel, slander, or otherwise denigrate the systems that I'm working with.

If I were the voice of the user, I'd be arguing for simplifying the process of getting cryptography to work, without a pay-to-play model.

If I were the voice of the user, I'd be arguing against providing false assurances which aren't backed up by the model.

My examples:  Securities and Exchange Commission-regulated trading networks, which do have to support TLS because it's the major means of being able to provide strong authentication over a VPN.  Insurance companies (a specific one that I'm certain of) who must audit to ensure that regulated financial information is not being illegally distributed outside the network.  Educational institutions (a specific one that I'm certain of) who use it to ensure that protected student information isn't illegally distributed.  And on and on and on.

If I were the voice of the user, I'd be arguing against trying to impose what I can and can't do with my own hardware and software.  I'd be arguing against things which reduce the willingness of systems to communicate -- the decision of whether to accept what's communicated is mine alone.  I have an exclusive right to determine what happens here.  No standards body has a right to tell me what I can't do.  No consortium of people, other than the elected legislative bodies, has any right to do that.

We MUST permit every use of our protocols.  We MUST describe the computational processes and we MUST define the intended semantics, but we MUST NOT try to sabotage anything that the standards' implementors or consumers try to do.  If we do, we're overstepping the bounds of what authority we can legitimately claim as standards designers.

-Kyle H