Call for participation -- Is OSI really useful?

laurae@laurae.ar.telenex.com Tue, 31 May 1994 18:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 13:31:00 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: laurae@laurae.ar.telenex.com
To: gray@osi.ncsl.nist.gov, vantrees@sed.stel.com, truskows@cisco.com, frank@cos.com, ron11@cc.bellcore.com, ews@ctt.bellcore.com, bob@uci.com, dicksc@uci.com, 73543.1077@compuserve.com, baos@oss.com, dicksw@uci.com, mkao@cup.hp.com, markh@rsvl.unisys.com, kk@arinc.com, cpd@one.com, sjg@arch4.att.com, kuiper@osison.osiware.bc.ca, heather@tandem.com, dchoi@vax2.cstp.umkc.edu, lee@ntd.comsat.com, lowe@osf.org, lee@cstp.umkc.edu, eric@isci.com, rdesjardins@attmail.com, wdavison@rlg.stanford.edu, devon!ed-kelly@mhs.attmail.com, Baker@forty2.enet.dec.com, conrad@oss.com, troisi_brenda@tandem.com, DBRITT@nctsemh-npt.navy.mil, rschilk@huachuca-jitcosi.army.mil, dyons@arch4.att.com, day@bbn.com, p.furniss@ulcc.ac.uk, lee@huachuca-jitcosi.army.mil, truoel@gmd.de, dallas@forty2.enet.dec.com, quigley@cup.hp.com, agrawala@cs.umd.edu, jmhunt@atlsita.org, colin <colin@intelsat>, lrajchel@attmail.com, THINOSI@ulcc.ac.uk, X3T5@osf.org
Subject: Call for participation -- Is OSI really useful?

 When I sat down earlier this week to define the agenda for the
 upcoming "Birds of a Feather" on OSI Upper Layer efficiency, I
 found myself sifting through so many completely varied solutions,
 I forgot the problem being solved. And then I picked up an issue
 of Network World (May 9) that a co-worker had left on my desk.
 Thomas Nolle's column "Reality Check" that week was titled "OSI
 decline reflects problems in standards process." So I read the
 column. Nolle, in referring to OSI, claims that "the idea was to
 give the marketplace a standard, and everybody would go along with
 it from the start, ...thus was born the open systems movement,
 and the OSI model." However, a more realistic reality check is
 the recent history lesson I received from Bob Stover. He reminded
 me that OSI was defined as a gateway and backplane architecture
 to connect very large, private networks together for the purpose
 of increasing market share for each party. There's a reason why
 the Reference Model looks like a mutant cross between ARPANET
 and SNA. Given that, twenty years after the first RM was created,
 we now use terms like "collaborative computing" and "common data
 repository" and "information infrastructure" instead of "gateway"
 and "backplane" the question is, what problem are we trying to
 solve? The BOF was initiated to research efficiency options for
 OSI upper layers. However, if the paradigm is no longer applicable,
 and the problems facing the communications industry today are
 not being addressed, how valid are the solutions we've produced?
 More to the point, is OSI really useful?

 The essential point in Nolle's article is not the usefulness of
 the RM, but rather on the effectiveness of the standards process.
 He asks, "Who are these people writing standards anyway?" It is
 a good question. We all know that attendance at meetings has
 dropped off significantly. In addition, the standards bodies,
 ANSI and ETSI, ISO and ITU-T, and the regional workshops, OIW,
 EWOS, and AOW, are all legislative bodies. Therefore they are
 not the optimal place to conduct scientific research and initial
 technical work. Such groundbreaking work should be completed
 before and outside of the legislative process. Vendor forums have
 been sucessful at creating new technology, but can be restrictive
 in their membership and cost prohibitive. All of the regulations
 and fees for membership in any of these organizations is limiting
 the participating community to just a handful of focused experts.
 Given the initial scope of OSI, that it was a gateway and backplane architecture
 for large private networks, this was exactly the way
 it should be; but if we agree that the scope has changed, then
 members of the user community and the academic community should be
 contributing more to the effort. What, if anything can we do to
 expand the process to increase participation?

 To that end...

                             OIW ULSIG BOF
               OSI UL efficiency - Requirements and options

                        Call for participation

 Date: 8-10 June 1994

 Location:  Days Inn Springfield Mall
                  6721 Commerce Street
                  Springfield, VA 22150
                  (703) 922-6100
                  FAX: (703) 922-0708

 Host:         Telenex, Inc. (AR Test Systems)

 Dialogue:   THINOSI@ULCC.AC.UK

 The OIW ULSIG will sponser an open "Birds of a Feather Symposium"
 on Upper Layer Efficiency and Usefulness of OSI. The ULSIG recognizes
 the industry need for more efficient common upper layer protocols
 and profiles. In the future the usefulness of data communications
 applications will be determined in part by how well different
 applications interact with each other. This is why the OSI
 Reference Model architecture allows for a common set of upper
 layer services. Those services are currently defined by the ACSE
 (ISO 8649, ITU-T X.217), Presentation (ISO 8822, ITU-T X.216),
 and Session (ISO 8326, ITU-T X.215) service definitions. The
 primary purpose of this symposium is to define ways to provide
 these common services more efficiently. Last January, the first BOF
 was held in Minneapolis. Efficiency requirements and standardization
 approaches were outlined at that symposium. The agenda for this meeting
 is as follows:

      Wednesday Morning -
         Is OSI really useful?
      Wednesday afternoon -
         What can we do to expand the process and to increase
         participation?
      Thursday Morning -
         Who can benefit from a common upper layer architecture?
         What are our essential requirements?
                     Papers: Extended ALS, A2CSE, and others
         How efficient do we need to be?
                     Papers: Fast Byte for Upper Layers
      Thursday afternoon -
         What role does ASN.1 play in Upper Layers Efficiency?
                     Papers: Packed Encoding Rules, Grouped Bits
      Friday morning -
         How does OSI fit into the Information Highway Vision?
                     Papers: FIRP report, IPIR Charter
      Friday afternoon -
         What can we do in the future?

 Contributions
 This is an open, free meeting. We encourage contributions on any
 topics related to the above agenda.

 Contributions can be posted on the THINOSI mail exploder
 (thinosi@ulcc.ac.uk) or sent to me at the address below.

 To register on the thinosi list, send a message to:
       thinosi-request@ulcc.ac.uk

 Meeting Times:
    Wednesday, June 8         10:00 AM - 5:00 PM     Virginia Room
    Thursday,  June 9          9:00 AM - 5:00 PM     Virginia Room
    Friday, June 10            9:00 AM - 5:00 PM     Virginia Room

 Hotel Information:
     The Days Inn will have rooms available for the attendees. If you
 wish to stay at the Days Inn, please make reservations directly with
 them. Attendees should request the corporate rate and mention that
 they are attending the "Telenex meeting" when making reservations.

 Room Rate:       $53/night single              $59/night double

 The hotel also has a special "Room N' Ride" package available. For
 $78/night the hotel provides free continental breakfast, free
 parking/van service to Metro, free van service from airports, a
 car from Enterprise Rent-a-Car, free upgrade to midsize, free
 mileage, car delivery to hotel. If interested, ask for more details
 (or to speak with Jackie Loeper in the Sales Office) when making
 reservations.

 CONFIRMATIONS ONLY
 I need a list of the attendees by 6 June. Please reply to me if you
 are planning to attend.

 Laura Emmons
 Telenex, Inc.
 7401 Boston Blvd.
 Springfield, VA 22153
 (703) 644-9113
 FAX: (703) 644-9011
 INTERNET: laurae@ar.telenex.com

 For more information contact me (see above). I have maps and
 flyers on the "Room N' Ride" program.