Second OIW u-l efficiency BOF

Peter Furniss <cziwprf@pluto.ulcc.ac.uk> Thu, 05 May 1994 22:27 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Peter Furniss <cziwprf@pluto.ulcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Second OIW u-l efficiency BOF
To: thinosi@ulcc.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 05 May 1994 23:20:31 +0100
Cc: Laura Emmons <laurae@arcpuff.ar.telenex.com>

Laura Emmons asked me to send this to the thinosi list
 since it will cover the not-the-same-protocol forms of efficiency
that have been discussed on this list (and also since the thinosi
work proper has now completed)

                                                    OIW  BOF
                                  UL efficiency - Requirements and options

                                                Call for participation

Date: 8-10 June 1994

Location:  Days Inn Springfield Mall
                 6721 Commerce Street
                 Springfield, VA 22150
                 (703) 922-6100
                 FAX: (703) 922-0708

Host:         Telenex, Inc. (AR Test Systems)

Dialogue:   THINOSI[-request]@ULCC.AC.UK

The OIW ULSIG will sponser an open "Birds of a Feather Symposium" on
Upper Layer Efficiency. The ULSIG recognizes the industry need for
more efficient common upper layer protocols and profiles. In the
future the usefulness of data communications applications will be
determined in part by how well different applications interact with
each other. This is why the OSI Reference Model architecture allows
for a common set of upper layer services.  Those services are
currently defined by the ACSE (ISO 8649, ITU-T X.217), Presentation
(ISO 8822, ITU-T X.216), and Session (ISO 8326, ITU-T X.215) service
definitions. The primary purpose of this symposium is to define ways
to provide these common services more efficiently. Last January, the
first BOF was held in Minneapolis. Efficiency requirements and
standardization approaches were outlined at that symposium. The
primary goals of this meeting are:

    1. To discuss solutions to the following three categories of
       efficiency requirements
        a)      minimize stack size,
        b)      improve thoughput performance
        c)      reduce bandwidth of PCI transferred; and

    2. To discuss options for progressing any solutions through the
       standards process, i.e. to discuss where this work could be completed.

This is an open, free meeting. We encourage contributions on any
topics related to upper layer efficiency.

Meeting Times:
          Wednesday, June 8         10:00 AM - 5:00 PM     Virginia Room
           Thursday,  June 9            9:00 AM - 5:00 PM     Virginia Room
           Friday, June 10                9:00 AM - 5:00 PM     Virginia Room

Hotel Information:

    The Days Inn will have rooms available for the attendees. If you
wish to stay at the Days Inn, please make reservations directly with
them. Attendees should request the corporate rate and mention that
they are attending the "Telenex meeting" when making reservations.

Room Rate:       $53/night single              $59/night double

The hotel also has a special "Room N' Ride" package available. For
$78/night the hotel provides free continental breakfast, free
parking/van service to Metro, free van service from airports, a car
from Enterprise Rent-a-Car, free upgrade to midsize, free mileage, car
delivery to hotel. If interested, ask for more details (or to speak
with Jackie Loeper in the Sales Office) when making reservations.

CONFIRMATIONS ONLY
I need a list of the attendees by 6 June. Please reply to me if you
are planning to attend.
Laura Emmons
Telenex, Inc.
7401 Boston Blvd.
Springfield, VA 22153
(703) 644-9113
FAX: (703) 644-9011
INTERNET: laurae@ar.telenex.com

For more information contact me (see above). I have maps and flyers on
the "Room N' Ride" program.