Re: call for participation

Terry Sullivan <FCLTPS@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu> Fri, 03 June 1994 18:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 1994 11:29:17 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Terry Sullivan <FCLTPS@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: call for participation
To: Susan Hares <skh@merit.edu>, Henry Lowe <lowe@osf.org>, THINOSI-request@ulcc.ac.uk
cc: THINOSI@ulcc.ac.uk, X3T5@osf.org, 73543.1077@compuserve.com, agrawala@cs.umd.edu, Baker@forty2.enet.dec.com, baos@oss.com, colin <colin@intelsat>, conrad@oss.com, cpd@one.com, dallas@forty2.enet.dec.com, dchoi@vax2.cstp.umkc.edu, desjardi@eos.nasa.gov, devon!ed-kelly@mhs.attmail.com, dicksc@uci.com, eric@isci.com, heather@tandem.com, jmhunt@atlsita.org, kk@arinc.com, kuiper@osison.osiware.bc.ca, lee@vax2.cstp.umkc.edu, lrajchel@attmail.com, lee@huachuca-jitcosi.army.mil

>For those funding ISO activies, look at the words "public
>domain".  A free program is more often used than one
>that costs money.  Prototypes, "public domain" may have
>had more impact on why IP has succeed where ISO protocols
>failed.

I Think we need to expand  "public domain" beyond just programs.  RFC's
are freely available online, increasing thier acceptance, and the number of
public domain implemetations.  ISO standards are hard to come by and the
costs of these documents are sometimes prohibitive (exspecially on a state
budget).

terry sullivan