Re: [TICTOC] Updated draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements-07

Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com> Tue, 29 April 2014 13:55 UTC

From: Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>
To: "Smiley, Russell" <Russell.Smiley@idt.com>, "dieter.sibold@ptb.de" <dieter.sibold@ptb.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:55:37 +0300
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "tictoc@ietf.org" <tictoc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] Updated draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements-07

Hi Russell,

Please see inline, marked [TM].

Thanks,
Tal.

From: Smiley, Russell [mailto:Russell.Smiley@idt.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:47 PM
To: Tal Mizrahi; dieter.sibold@ptb.de
Cc: tictoc@ietf.org

Tal,

Let me restate your separation of the requirements in the hope that I have understood correctly:

1.       Master authenticates slaves as a necessary component of authorizing slaves for access to the master services.
[TM] Yes

2.       Master authenticates slaves in order to uniquely identify slaves to prevent spoofing attacks.
[TM] Not exactly. The general way to phrase this is spoofing prevention. Dieter argued (and I agree) that slave spoofing can be prevented even if the master does not authenticate the identity of the slave.

If I understand correctly you want to make requirement (1) a MAY and (2) a MUST, with the understanding that the implementation of the authentication mechanism in (1) and (2) may be different.
[TM] Right.

I believe that Dieter suggests that a nonce would be adequate to satisfy (2). I am not confident of this assertion; a nonce is normally used to prevent a replay attack, so unless there is something about the implementation of a nonce that I have misunderstood I do not see how a nonce could prevent spoofing/MITM. Perhaps further explanation would be helpful?
[TM] I will try to phrase Dieter’s claim the way I understand it (Dieter – correct me if I am wrong). The slave can send Delay_Req packets with *something* (a nonce or something else) that is protected by a MAC with a key that only the slave has access to, and thus no other node can forge this MAC. The Delay_Resp message then includes the same *something* with the same MAC, allowing the slave to verify that the Delay_Resp corresponds to an authentic Delay_Req. As Dieter suggests, this prevents spoofing, and the master does not have to verify the master’s identity.

In the case of a public master that Dieter is concerned about, I believe the authentication of slaves in (2) to prevent spoofing can be satisfied using a key exchange system such as in TLS; the keys are generated and exchanged per session within the context of a secure handshaking mechanism. Thus there is no/minimal prior knowledge needed to establish secure communications between master and slave.

Russell.