Re: [TICTOC] Comments on draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements-03

Doug Arnold <darnold@symmetricom.com> Fri, 21 December 2012 02:04 UTC

From: Doug Arnold <darnold@symmetricom.com>
To: "TICTOC@ietf.org" <TICTOC@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 02:04:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [70.36.184.38]
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] Comments on draft-ietf-tictoc-security-requirements-03

I agree with Kevin Gross that this document on security requirements is welll written, organized and informative. The background material is comprehensive, and yet very concise.  It is potentially useful to the IEEE 1588 committee as well as to the IETF.  I have some comments on the choices for SHALL (required), SHOULD (recommended) and MAY (allowed) amongst the various requirements.

The authentication of PTP slaves and NTP clients a aught to be allowed, but not required or recommend (MAY).  There are likely many applications where authentication of slaves is undesirable or unimportant.  This is especially true for the design of an Ordinary Clock, which is master capable, but is not usually in that mode.  Such devices often have less processing resources than Preferred Grandmasters. It is likely also true for NTP servers when there are a large number of clients, and the policy is for servers to answer them all, to the best of their ability.  Note that the draft calls for low storage and bandwidth demands for NTP servers.  That could be challenging if there are thousands of clients to authenticate.

I suggest demanding that Announce Messages SHALL be authenticated since these are crucial to proper functioning of the PTP Best Master Clock Algorithm in multicast mode.

I second the comments of Kevin Gross on DoS security (see below).

Protection against delay attacks is too important a topic only to be a MAY.  I suggest that this be recommended (SHOULD).  Realistically it might be that the protocol only makes this possible, and doesn't solve it.  Part of the solution might be in the end device clock control software which, at least for PTP, is outside of the scope of the standard.

//Doug Arnold