Re: [TICTOC] [ntpwg] New Draft: draft-mizrahi-ntp-checksum-trailer-00

Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com> Mon, 29 July 2013 20:47 UTC

From: Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>
To: "mayer@ntp.org" <mayer@ntp.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 23:46:18 +0300
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ntpwg@lists.ntp.org" <ntpwg@lists.ntp.org>, "tictoc@ietf.org" <tictoc@ietf.org>, "David L. Mills" <mills@udel.edu>
Subject: Re: [TICTOC] [ntpwg] New Draft: draft-mizrahi-ntp-checksum-trailer-00

Hi Danny,

I understand your concern, and I would like to clarify an important point: I believe the functionality described in this draft is useful in unauthenticated mode, and not useful in authenticated mode. In authenticated mode, an intermediate entity that changes the packet would have to re-compute the MAC, so re-computing the UDP checksum as well does not significantly complicate the intermediate entity.

I tried to explain this point in the draft (the text is quoted below), but if the working group feels strongly about it I am willing to make it a stronger statement - that the checksum trailer is only  relevant to unauthenticated mode, and is not to be used in authenticated mode.

Danny, does this make sense?

Quoting from section 3.4 of the draft:
   While a Checksum Trailer MAY be used when authentication is enabled,
   in practice the Checksum Trailer is more useful in unauthenticated
   mode, allowing the intermediate entity to perform serial processing
   of the packet without storing-and-forwarding it.

Tal.