[TICTOC] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib-08: (with COMMENT)

"Alissa Cooper" <alissa@cooperw.in> Tue, 19 April 2016 17:12 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:12:16 -0700
Cc: tictoc-chairs@ietf.org, tictoc@ietf.org, draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib@ietf.org, kodonog@pobox.com
Subject: [TICTOC] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib-08: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tictoc-ptp-mib/

COMMENT:

(1) The ClockIdentity is described as being generated based on an EUI-64
address as described in IEEE 1588-2008 Section 7.5.2.2.2. But in IEEE
1588-2008, there are two different ways the clock identifier can be
generated, the other being a non-EUI-64 address defined in 7.5.2.2.3. Why
is that option left out of the ClockIdentity description?

In general I was dismayed to see the re-use of EUI-64 for clock identity
for the security and privacy drawbacks, since it's not particularly clear
that re-using those identifiers is necessary here. But if such a fix is
warranted this MIB is not the place to do it in any event.

(2) Looking at
https://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/ops/trac/wiki/mib-security I recall that
other MIB documents we've reviewed recently have listed out the specific
tables/objects that may be considered vulnerable or sensitive, even if
those objects are read-only. Why doesn't this document do that? I would
think all of the clock identity objects would belong in that bucket at a
minimum.