Re: [Time] TIME proposal in OPS-Area meeting and RTGWG meeting

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Fri, 22 August 2014 06:01 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "time@ietf.org" <time@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 06:01:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.180]
Cc: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Time] TIME proposal in OPS-Area meeting and RTGWG meeting

Hi, Folks:

Sorry for late followup.

We had a good discussion in RTGWG and OPSAWG meeting.

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/90/minutes/minutes-90-rtgwg
Opsawg meeting minutes haven’t been posted yet.

People concerned a lot about defining one GOAM protocol in the data plane.
There have already had a lot of work in RTGWG to discuss using Generic TLV
and Header extension to carry OAM information. Some other effort can be seen in ITU-T.

Another concern is if multi-layer management plane consolidation will also cause
Crossing layer boundary introduced by inter-layer operation.

Based on the discussion in both RTGWG/OPSAWG meeting and in the corridors,
We feel look into multi-layer OAM management is good direction and complimentary
to what has been done in RTG area regarding data plane OAM(e.g.,Overlay OAM).

To address concern raised in the meeting, we propose to focus on management plane consolidation and
use layer independent OAM management to replace transport independent OAM.

We believe looking into layer independent OAM management and stitching different layer OAMs
can provide better OAM visibility.
To achieve this, one possible approach is to apply CFM like model to all the existing OAM technologies, then
We can model different various OAM protocol in the same way.
The problem statement draft and use case draft will be updated soon.

The mailing list will be updated as well. We have sent a request to AD.

Regards!
-Qin