[Time] OAM Layering

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 18 June 2014 07:29 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Jan Lindblad <janl@tail-f.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:29:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.180]
Cc: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "joelja@bogus.com" <joelja@bogus.com>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "time@ietf.org" <time@ietf.org>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: [Time] OAM Layering

One point to add:
For other common OAM information that occur to my head is performance measurement information
My initial thought about this is:
¨C      Common metrics for Performance measurement
*       Packet Loss
*       Delay
*       Jitter
*       Bandwidth

Regards!
-Qin
·¢¼þÈË: Time [mailto:time-bounces@ietf.org] ´ú±í Qin Wu
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2014Äê6ÔÂ18ÈÕ 14:55
ÊÕ¼þÈË: Jan Lindblad
³­ËÍ: Benoit Claise; joelja@bogus.com; Alia Atlas; time@ietf.org; Adrian Farrel
Ö÷Ìâ: Re: [Time] TIME BoF not approved

Hi, Jan:
Thanks for your interesting initial thoughts.
Please see my reply inline below.

Regards!
-Qin
·¢¼þÈË: Jan Lindblad [mailto:janl@tail-f.com]
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2014Äê6ÔÂ16ÈÕ 23:20
ÊÕ¼þÈË: Qin Wu
³­ËÍ: Benoit Claise; time@ietf.org<mailto:time@ietf.org>; joelja@bogus.com<mailto:joelja@bogus.com>; Adrian Farrel; Alia Atlas
Ö÷Ìâ: Re: [Time] TIME BoF not approved

Qin,

Thanks for kicking off this list, and working the IETF processes to move it along. To get the discussion going, I've put down some of my thoughts around this and propose a five layer management stack.

OAM standardization would cover a wide range of concepts, data models, data modeling languages, management and control protocols. Some of these could very well be the same for all domains, vendors, layers, etc. I would say, for example, there is no reason to use a different data modeling language for ethernet switching, mobile backhaul, voip, service chaining or managing the electrical grid.

[Qin]: Exactly. That is one important aspect of management plane OAM consolidation we like to do. Using generic data model and unfied data modeling language can keeping operation complexity and thus OpEx reasonably low.

Some control protocol functionality, on the other hand, probably has to remain different for different layers and domains, at least for use cases off of the beaten path. Ethernet supports a different set of operations/functionality than an IP network or a VLAN. Debugging a disconnect without knowing which one of of the above you are dealing with sounds difficult. Some use cases might be tractable, however. How would you define a single 'ping' operation that applies equally well to each one of these?

[Qin]: Just to clarify, we are not intend to replace all existing data plane OAMs(e.g., Ethernet OAM, IP OAM, MPLS OAM) with technology independent OAM given that these existing data plane OAMs have already had  large deployment. We are not intend to apply IP OAM(e.g., ¡®ping¡¯  operation) to Ethernet network or apply Ethernet OAM operations(e.g., connectivity verification) to IP network. what we are looking for is OAM Consolidation in either data plane or management plane.
We believe in some multi-layer OAM cases, it will be nice to have technology independent OAM. To support technology independent OAM, we may either  enhance BFD protocol or extend protocol header or Done with TLV extension, when we agree to develop these technology independent OAM protocol, we may think integrate Ethernet OAM functionality with IP OAM functionality, e.g., we may have a technology independent OAM protocol that¡¯s support both a subset of erthernet OAM functionalities and a subset of IP OAM functionality.

To decide what common OAM functionalities that need to be supported, it is better to identify all the existing technology dependent OAM and technology independent OAM protocol
and defines the requirements the technology independent OAM protocol needs to meet.

By watering down the concepts sufficiently, it is possible to define abstract operations that work in all the above scenarios. You would get a 'connectivity-verification' operation that can operate on a 'set' of 'endpoints'. Such models exist, e.g. as defined in DMTF's CIM model or TM Forum's GB922/SID. The value and utility of these generic models can be (and often is) debated.

[Qin]:Interesting model, would you like to provide a link to this model or send me  the document about this generic model. What does this model looks like? Is it a data model or something else?

Just because many people do not see these generalization efforts as completely effective, that doesn't mean that it's impossible to find a better balance between generality vs. functionality -- but I do think these examples suggest that it will be pretty hard.

[Qin]: Yes, balance between generality vs. functionality needs to be seeked. But I am not pessimistic about looking for such balance.
My initial thought for this effort is to look for integrate Ethernet OAM functionality and IP OAM functionality into new transport independent OAM protocol.
Alternatively we may look for Common OAM components that can be applied to various technology dependent OAMs protocols, e.g.,
a.Defects Detection
b.Defects Localization
c.Defects information
d.Performance measurement
e.System protections

IMHO the first step we have to take to move towards a layer, domain, vendor, etc -neutral OAM interface is to define the relevant management stack layers. Don't we have enough layers already with the ISO L1-L7? We do, for the transport stack. But I say we don't for management.

[Qin]:Interesting proposal, for the first step, we need to identify in the existing OAM protocol which is technology dependent OAM and which is technology independent OAM?
And then we can figure out what are OAM information common various layer, various domain, various operators and what are common OAM functionality that needs to be supported?

The management stack is also comprised of layers, but they are altogether other layers than the seven (or so) ISO layers. I think the original SDN gurus Casado, Shenker, McKeown, Koponen et al, got a few pieces of this stack right (see for example http://www.slideshare.net/martin_casado/sdn-abstractions slide 39, from 2011). And perhaps a couple of the TM Forum concepts fit into this as well, a bit higher up in the stack (http://www.tmforum.org/ProductsServices/ServiceInventoryManagement/4296/Home.html)

So with this introduction, I propose the following five layer management stack. Maybe we will invent more layers and refine this, so don't take the numbers too literally quite yet. It hasn't been ISO ratified...

M5: "Customer facing service layer"
M4: "Resource facing service layer"
M3: "Network OS layer"
M2: "Device layer"
M1: "Forwarding layer"

The M1 layer provides OpenFlow and similar control interfaces into a device. Many devices don't even have this layer exposed publicly, so you'd have use M2.

[Qin]:I think the Forwarding layer can be further decomposed into transport layer and network layer since one network may use various transport protocol(e.g.,UDP, TCP) and there are various network technologies we can rely on.
Then we have transport layer OAM and network layer OAM, but what we are really looking for is transport independent OAM or technology independent OAM that be built on top of various transport.

So the M2 contains the interface which management systems use to talk to individual devices or OpenFlow/etc controllers. This is where you'd find protocols like SNMP, Command Line Interfaces, NETCONF, and many, many more. I.e. the languages you use to tell a device what to do. While I think it would be technically possible and really valuable to standardize this layer across all domains, layers and vendors, for the foreseeable future I think we will have to live with a major hodge-podge of interfaces and device capabilities.

On the M3 layer, what you get is a uniform interface (API and/or UI) that covers all the managed devices and can execute network-wide transactions. This layer allows applications and operators to execute configuration, monitoring and action tasks across multiple devices, from a mix of domains, layers, vendors. Still the abstraction level is that of the network elements themselves, so whatever configurables, status, actions and notifications they provide, that is what you get here, but without having to worry about the location and protocol to reach the device.

[Qin]: I think both M2 and M3 can provide uniform interface to individual devices or network element It will be great to seek a synergy of M2 and M3 layer or more layers that is above M3 layers.

The M4 layer contains a uniform interface to resource facing services. A service is anything you want to provision in your network, but don't have direct support for in a single device in the network. Some typical services could be VPN, ACL management, or service chaining. Resource facing means that these services are still quite close to the network equipment. Services may also be stacked on each other, so that a VPN service might use a generic router service which in turn maps to equipment of different brands, models and versions.

The M5 layer contains the customer facing services, the ones you as a customer of a service provider find in the price list. E.g. a IPTV customer facing service might consist of three resource facing services: broadband+DNS+DHCP.

Now, in each layer, you'd find a collection of objects that could be read+written (configuration) and read-only (status), executable operations and notifications. All of these should be described in a standardized data modeling language (e.g. YANG, SMI, XSD), so the higher M-layers know what they can access. Ideally a good portion should also be possible to standardize so that it works across domains, layers and vendors. In the proposal submitted by Qin, there are already some proposed generic operations sketched out. Interesting, indeed.

/Jan