Re: [Time] OAM Initiative: Situation

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Tue, 09 September 2014 03:33 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "time@ietf.org" <time@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 03:33:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.180]
Cc: "ops-ads@tools.ietf.org" <ops-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Time] OAM Initiative: Situation

Thank Benoit and Joel for the update of the current status.
“OAM initiative” is a good name, I think.
It remind me IESG/IAB arranged a Joint Design Session on Forwarding Plane OAM
Before to discuss tunneled forwarding plane OAM,
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oam/current/msg00037.html

However the scope of this design session is limited to the forwarding plane. Proposals concerning
On control/management plane was not touched.

Even this, some of their proposal matches what we proposed in the PS draft right now, .e.g.,
In draft-bonica-oam-considerations-00, it said:
“
The API should insulate the user application from the following
   details:

      - The procedure that the OAM mechanism employed to obtain OAM
      information

      - Whether the OAM mechanism is integrated into the lower layer
      protocol

”
Regards!
-Qin