Re: [TLS] [Ietf-honest] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (KeyingMaterialExporters for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) toProposed Standard

"Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> Mon, 27 July 2009 22:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:39:23 -0700
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <wbeebee@cisco.com>
Cc: ietf-honest@lists.iadl.org, rms@gnu.org, Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>, tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] [Ietf-honest] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (KeyingMaterialExporters for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) toProposed Standard

Wes and all,

  Not entirely true here.  First use in commerce supersedes any
patent if the person of a product that didn't file a patent for it has
used it in commerce before another and can prove such that is
patenting the product or similar even some types of service has filed
the patent and it has been approved.  The problem with this scenario
is that one may not even know even with a through patent search if
such a patent has been filed, not to mention when, and so legal proceedings
may ensue as a result, costing both litigants significant $$.

  Standards should only set basic parameters by which any number
of products, in this fora a security product of some sort.  Products that
exceed the standard parameters should than be considered standardized.
Any standard that is set that does not is a bad standard.