Re: [TLS] [pkix] Possible revocation delay issue with TLS stapling

Jean-Marc Desperrier <jmdesp@free.fr> Fri, 26 March 2010 09:40 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:40:13 +0100
From: Jean-Marc Desperrier <jmdesp@free.fr>
To: "pkix@ietf.org" <pkix@ietf.org>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Cc: dev+ietf@seantek.com
Subject: Re: [TLS] [pkix] Possible revocation delay issue with TLS stapling

Sean Leonard wrote:
> 2.(a) Your suggestion says that "servers" must include this extension in
> requests. How does the OCSP responder verify that the requester is a
> "server"? It cannot. So, if the CA is concerned about the staleness
> problem, why not just update OCSP information for all OCSP requests on a
> shorter interval?

The operational cost of the short interval is higher.

So with that extension the server is saying : I'm highly sensitive *and*
I'll optimize your network load, therefore trying to optimize your costs
by giving me a long lived response is not the optimal strategy. Please
give me a truer response of when you'll really be able to have fresher info.

What you write in details later is true, this is just an optimization,
different strategy could be used to not need it, and it will work only
if the client checks this extension.

One thing I can confirm is that, as often the next CRL is generated
earlier that the next update in the CRL, I've seen one actual CA case
where the policy is such that getting the latest CRL *could* get you a
fresher info than getting an OCSP token.
So this is a specific case where the CA could make sure the staple OCSP
request always hits the very latest CRL, whereas there's an interval
where standard OCSP request are not yet updated to it, and using a still
trustworthy (earlier than next update) CRL but not actually the very
latest produced CRL.

So the question is just, is this sufficiently useful to deserve being
added to the standard ?

Just one more thing, I'm thinking now that one strategy for the server
can be to guarantee a 20 ms response delay on standard requests, but
have a 1 or 2 seconds delay for a staple ready answer. It's then up to
the client to decide if he wants slow but best, or fast but maybe less
fresh.