Re: [TLS] EU cards

"Blumenthal, Uri - 0668 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu> Fri, 29 July 2011 14:59 UTC

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0668 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu>
To: "'anders.rundgren@telia.com'" <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:59:47 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "'tls@ietf.org'" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] EU cards

In general I'd disagree - but you've made an excellent point about innovation on PC being dead (and therefore no chance to properly secure them while keeping 'em usable). US DoD is moving along the "secure 'em" axis, thus making usability suffer (many reasons for that). Thus many bitching end-users (and some of them actually have reasons to). But overall - comparing what CAC were expected to do with what they actually do - I'd call it a success because they _work_, like it or not. (Now OS changes version and fragile middleware quits, some readers aren't supported, etc - overall not a pleasant picture, but the infrastructure is fine and the capabilities are right.)

--
Regards,
Uri