[TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305-04.txt> (ChaCha20-Poly1305 Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) to Proposed Standard

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Tue, 22 March 2016 14:24 UTC

From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Sender: iesg-secretary@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 07:24:28 -0700
Cc: tls-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305@ietf.org, tls@ietf.org
Subject: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305-04.txt> (ChaCha20-Poly1305 Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) to Proposed Standard

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG
(tls) to consider the following document:
- 'ChaCha20-Poly1305 Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)'
  <draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by 2016-04-05. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to iesg@ietf.org instead. In either case, please retain the

Abstract

   This document describes the use of the ChaCha stream cipher and
   Poly1305 authenticator in the Transport Layer Security (TLS) and
   Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) protocols.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305/ballot/

I-D nits notes that the abstract doesn't mention the two RFCs being updated.
That is a useful practice (in case someone only sees the abstract) so we'll fix
it after IETF LC.

This draft normatively references RFCs 4492, 5489 and 7539 which
are algorithm definitions. If needed we will put those in the DownRef
registry after this last call concludes.