Re: [TLS] TLS1.3

"Lewis, Nick" <nick.lewis@usa.g4s.com> Thu, 07 February 2013 09:30 UTC

From: "Lewis, Nick" <nick.lewis@usa.g4s.com>
To: 'Peter Gutmann' <pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:30:02 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS1.3

>I already have the necessary draft 90% complete, you don't need a rev of TLS,
>just an extension "would you like to do encrypt-then-MAC" in the client hello,
>and a corresponding "yes, let's do encrypt-then-MAC" in the server hello.
>Works with any version of TLS.  I'll post it in the next day or two.
>Peter.

Is this really ok for all cipher suites?
In those cases that the hash is weak e.g. MD5-HMAC maybe the underlying key could be exposed?
Padding the plain text up to a multiple of the cipher block size (minus the hash size) ahead of doing the MAC is a more modest change that may be more widely applicable to existing cipher suites - with a "pad-then MAC" client hello

Nick

The details of this company are as follows:
G4S Technology Limited, Registered Office: Challenge House, International Drive, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire GL20 8UQ, Registered in England No. 2382338.

This communication may contain information which is confidential, personal and/or privileged.

It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any distribution, forwarding, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.

Any personal views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender and the company does not endorse or accept responsibility for them.

Prior to taking any action based upon this e-mail message, you should seek appropriate confirmation of its authenticity.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by MessageLabs.