[TLS] Short Ephermal Diffie-Hellman keys

"Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <yngve@opera.com> Mon, 14 May 2007 07:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:41:59 +0200
To: tls@lists.ietf.org
From: "Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <yngve@opera.com>
Subject: [TLS] Short Ephermal Diffie-Hellman keys

Hello all,

I have recently started to see an increasing number of reports about
SSL/TLS servers using short Ephermal Diffie-Hellman keys, in some cases
very short ones.

Opera's SSL/TLS client will display warnings to users if the server is
using RSA/DH/DSA keys shorter than (currently) 900 bits. All keys used in
the chain, including the CA certificates are included in this evaluation,
as well as the ephermal key, if the server selects a cipher with an
ephermal key.

The short DHE keys I have seen have usually been 512 bits, but I have seen
servers sending keys as short as 256 bits.

I have seen these keys on both normal webservers and mail servers, but I
have an impression that there are more reports about the mail servers.

I think it might be an idea for TLS specification to include
recommendations about how such keys should be selected.

My preference for such a recommendation is that the ephermal key should be
as long, or as strong, as the key used to sign the ephermal key. I don't
think the specification should mention specific keylengths, because what
is secure is likely to change over time.

Comments?

As far as Opera is concerned, I am considering a few options, including
automatically disabling the ephermal ciphersuites or re-sorting the cipher
suite list toplace them last, and renegotiate the connection.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen