Re: [TLS] RFC 5878 - why?

Darshak Thakore <d.thakore@cablelabs.com> Wed, 18 September 2013 05:04 UTC

From: Darshak Thakore <d.thakore@cablelabs.com>
To: Trevor Perrin <trevp@trevp.net>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 05:04:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.5.0.27]
Subject: Re: [TLS] RFC 5878 - why?

I'm trying to understand if the primary issue being pointed out here is
about the errata in RFC5878 or the extension model that RFC5878 provides.
This thread started off with the primary question being what does RFC5878
provide and seems to be turning into a bashing of how bad it is. While i
agree that RFC5878 needs to be "fixed" in order to be usable, if we go
back to the original question of:

why this:

Client -> Server : ClientHello Extension signalling AuthorizationData
Client <- Server : ServerHello Extension signalling AuthorizationData,
                            SupplementalData containing AuthorizationData
Client -> Server : SupplementalData containing AuthorizationData

instead of this:

Client -> Server : ClientHello Extension
Client <- Server : ServerHello Extension
Client -> Server : SupplementalData (RFC 4680)

then:

1. You seem to be assuming that data is always flowing from the Client to
the Server and that anything that a server may want to send can always be
carried in the extension. That's not the only case. While it is possible
(and in most scenarios sufficient) to carry data in the extension itself,
certain extensions may require that actual data be passed in a specific
MessageType (based on certain aspects of the handshake being
accomplished). In such situations, the extension and the data in the
extension serves as triggers/extension code points to indicate what type
of data is to be expected in the subsequent messages. In order to achieve
that, if you do not define an extension code point, then your
extensionType registry starts exploding (with corner case extensions
littered around). While it is possible that way, IMHO, having a separate
code point and having a separate registry that provides a
categorization/registration of specific data types seems cleaner and
provides better management.

RFC4681 also does the same thing. It defines an extension and establishes
a registry to allow registering new UserMappings.

Going back to the problems of RFC5878 itself, the lack of length field
definitely needs to be fixed but the AuthorizationDataEntry being 1 byte
(while weird as you put it) is not really an issue.

Also as Yoav pointed out, due to lack of interest or whatever historic
reasons, there wasn't any other alternative/interest so RFC5878 was
published. When I actually had the need to pass DTCP data as authorization
data, RFC5878 provided the closest option (for better or for worse).

So my (very biased :) counter question is if RFC5878 is fixable, why not
fix it and leverage the registry already defined. If it is obsoleted,
wouldn't an alternative still be needed?

Darshak