[TLS] Archiving IETF IPR documents was Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (Keying

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> Tue, 18 August 2009 19:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:44:24 -0400
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
Cc: ietf-honest@lists.iadl.org, tls@ietf.org, ipr-wg-honest@lists.iadl.org
Subject: [TLS] Archiving IETF IPR documents was Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (Keying

This is probably an unsatisfactory way to leave things.

We have no solution, but I think there is agreement that IETF IPR
documents need to be archived and preserved despite the demonstrated
unreliability of vendors and the ISOC to preserve these documents.

I think a solution is a systematic effort to mirror and preserve every
document on the IETF TOOLS website needs to be undertaken in such a way
that the administrators of the IETF TOOLS website can't destroy
documents, even with IESG approval.  I think an separate incorporated,
responsible organization should take the responsibility for maintaining
these documents.  I /could/ propose to the LPF to take this on, but
would need volunteers to do the work--the LPF at present cannot fund the
work--it might (after approval) be able to preserve the records.  But a
new organization may needed for this specific purpose.

But before we get too deep into the solution, I think that this subject
and its solution is very quickly going to be beyond the scope of the TLS
Working Group, but is apparently of interest to many TLS WG members.
Of course, despite an interest by TLS WG members, the TLS Working Group
also can't really recharter itself to compensate for the unreliability
of another part of the IETF--sort of absurd. So it seems this discussion
should be moved somewhere else; perhaps ietf-honest@lists.iadl.org or
ipr-wg-honest@lists.iadl.org.  So, I ask the TLS Chairs and other TLS WG
members for suggestions on how to proceed.

		--Dean