Re: [TLS] [pkix] Cert Enumeration and Key Assurance With DNSSEC

"Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> Mon, 11 October 2010 19:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:31:35 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] [pkix] Cert Enumeration and Key Assurance With DNSSEC

Henry and all,

-----Original Message-----

I agree.

>Whether those records are <whatever/> depends on the practices of the domain administrator.  Is a 3rd party CA is more or less (likely to be) trustworthy than the relevant domain administrator?

Good point IMO, and one that seems all to often to be missed or largely ignored for whatever
reason.  My answer to your nicely and simply possed question is that the 3rd party CA is less
likely to be MORE trustworthy than the relevant domain administrator.  One can never know when
or if ones chosen CA goes rogue or has a corrupted or hacked Cert database.  Same can be said
for Trust Anchors.  However I am sure that many would disagree with my opinion here.  Additionally
similar can be said in respect to the relevant domain administrator.

All,

  As predicted some years ago now seems that Libya has taken
upon itself as the host nation of the .ly ccTLD to insure that
domain names registered in their name space are more 'Family
friendly' and in compliance with whatever standard(s) in Lybia
that would determine same...???  I wonder if such standards are
documented and articulated fully accordingly.
See:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11484751

  Note: I wonder how many requests from various countries to
hosting services or Registrars for .com, .net, .org, .info, .mobi,
and or any other name space TLD, generic or otherwise, will be
recieving even more to a flood of requests/demands for DMCA takedown's
due to 'questionable content or use'?  My guess is the number will
be growing rather rapidly as will similar for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
for similar reasons.  Of course this activity should give civil liberty
lawyers a boon in new business and be filling up the court dockets in
some countries with such cases for years to come.