RE: [TLS] OTP-TLS I-D [Was: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-linn-otp-tls-00.txt]

<Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com> Tue, 27 June 2006 16:01 UTC

Subject: RE: [TLS] OTP-TLS I-D [Was: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-linn-otp-tls-00.txt]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:28:46 +0300
From: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com
To: jlinn@rsasecurity.com, tls@ietf.org
Cc: mnystrom@rsasecurity.com

Hi John,

The "application profile specifications" mentioned in Sections 5.2
and 5.4 were intended to specify how to *use* the RFC4279 ciphersuites
to secure some particular application/service/higher-layer-protocol,
without modifying anything in TLS. (In other words, something
like RFC 2818 or 4261, which are for certificate-based ciphersuites)

If you significantly modify how the TLS key exchange works (as
is done in this case), the architecturally right way to do so is to
define a new "TLS key exchange algorithm". This was discussed way
back also during the PSK work (where another proposal was to tweak
the session resumption mechanism instead of defining a key exchange
algorithm).

Best regards,
Pasi