Re: [TLS] Verify data in the RI extension?

Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com> Fri, 27 November 2009 08:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:54:41 +0100
From: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>
To: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
Cc: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] Verify data in the RI extension?

The current draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation-01.txt still promotes RI extension
containing verify_data from previous handshake.

Sorry for repeating my question, but I would be really interested to know
why this is considered a better security design, than to simply send an
empty RI (and to feed the values directly into Finished calculation without
exchange).

To me it seems obvious that the best security design is to NOT exchange this
data if the objective is to verify that the parties already hold the data.

It's feels like "I want proof that you hold this value, so I'm going to send
it to you".

/Stefan