Re: [TLS] [pkix] Cert Enumeration and Key Assurance With DNSSEC

Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> Sat, 02 October 2010 20:15 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:16:19 -0700
From: Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, saag@ietf.org, tls@ietf.org, pkix@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] [pkix] Cert Enumeration and Key Assurance With DNSSEC

On 1 October 2010 16:15, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Matt McCutchen <matt@mattmccutchen.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 11:29 -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> > In particular I am very concerned about the particular approach being
>> > taken to security policy. What the proposers are attempting to do is
>> > to create a mechanism that allows a site that only uses one particular
>> > high assurance CA to 'protect' themselves against SSL certificates
>> > being issued by low assurance CAs.
>> >
>> > As such, this is an objective I approve of and is one that I would
>> > like to see supported in a generalized security policy. It should be
>> > possible for a site to make security policy statements of the form
>> > 'all valid PKIX certs for example.com have cert X in the validation
>> > path'.
>> >
>> > What I object to is the approach being taken which is to use DNSSEC to
>> > replace PKIX certificate validation entirely.
>>
>> Realize that I, and I would guess many other site admins, want precisely
>> that.  PKIX is complicated, whereas once I have a DNSSEC signed zone,
>> placing my TLS server's certificate in the zone and knowing that clients
>> will accept that certificate and no other could hardly be simpler.  And
>> why shouldn't I be allowed to do it?  I have complete authority over my
>> zone (even for the most part in the present public CA system).  Nobody
>> gave PKIX a monopoly on the determination of certificate acceptability.
>>
>> We could support a more general scheme in which positive assurance is
>> separate from restrictions, but don't be surprised when a significant
>> fraction of sites use it to effectively "replace PKIX certificate
>> validation".
>>

> The problem with that approach is that the attacker now has two
> infrastructures that they can attack rather than just one.

If I deploy the DNS solution, stating that DNS is authoritative, then
my attack surface now excludes all CAs. How is that an increase in
attack surface?

Contrast with today's situation, where my attack surface is increased
on a regular basis by the introduction of new CAs, without any
consultation with me at all.