Re: [TLS] Wrapping up cached info

"Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com> Wed, 19 May 2010 14:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:19:00 -0700
From: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
To: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>, mrex@sap.com
Cc: tls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TLS] Wrapping up cached info

Hi Stefan,

To me this sounds like a good approach.  I have some questions on
whether the hash chosen is dependent upon the cipher suite used below.

[Joe] Will this be the same as the hash function used in the PRF of the
cipher suite?  It seems that using the same hash might make security
analysis a little easier.

> 2) On repeated connections, the client indicate cached info by sending
> hash of the cached object using the cached hash algorithm. (No use of
FNV
> hash)
>
> 3) The server accepts by returning the received hash instead of the
cached
> data.

[Joe] In the event that a different cipher suite is used with a
different hash would the cached hash still be valid?

> 4) The only hash agility provided is that the client will send a hash
> algorithm identifier with the hash.

[Joe] This seems sufficient.

> 5) The client MUST NOT send more than one hash per cached object, and
MUST
> [...]
> - Who think it is worth the effort to agree on a better solution, and
why?

> Regards
>

> On 10-05-18 12:24 AM, "Stefan Santesson" <stefan@aaa-sec.com> wrote:
>
> > As Martin pointed out to me privately, the hash used in the finished
> > calculation becomes known to the client only after receiving the
serer
> > hello.
> >
> > It would therefore be natural for the client to use the hash
function
> used
> > to calculate the finished message at the time when the data was
cached.

> > The client would then indicate which hash algorithm it used and upon
> > acceptance, the server will honor the request.
> >
> > /Stefan
> >

> > On 10-05-17 10:34 PM, "Stefan Santesson" <stefan@aaa-sec.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> Where I come from we have a say "don't cross the river to get to
the
> water".
> >> And to me this proposal to change the finished calculation is just
> that.
> >>
> >> Look at it.
> >>
> >> The proposal is to bind the cached data by adding a hash of the
cached
> data
> >> to the finished calculation.
> >>
> >> The proposal is further to avoid hash agility by picking the hash
> algorithm
> >> used by TLS's Finished message computation.
> >>

> >> Now there are two ways to achieve this goal.
> >>
> >> 1) The crossing the river to get water approach:  Exchange FNV
hashes
> of the
> >> cached data in the handshake protocol exchange and then inject
hashes
> of the
> >> same data into the finished calculation through an alteration of
the
> TLS
> >> protocol.
> >>

> >> 2) The simple approach: Use the hash algorithm of the finished
> calculation
> >> to hash the cached data (according to the current draft).
> >>

> >> Alternative 2 securely bind the hashed data into the finished
message
> >> calculation without altering the algorithm.
> >>
> >> Alternative 2 requires at most a hash algorithm identifier added to
the
> >> protocol, if at all. We don't need to add negotiation since we
always
> use
> >> the hash of the finished message calculation. Adding this
identifier
> would
> >> be the only change made to the current draft.
> >>
> >> Alternative 2 don't require additional security analysis. If the
hash
> used
> >> to calculate the finished message is broken, then we are screwed

Finished