Re: [TLS] TLS ECH, how much can the hint stick out?

Karthik Bhargavan <karthikeyan.bhargavan@inria.fr> Fri, 11 September 2020 14:00 UTC

From: Karthik Bhargavan <karthikeyan.bhargavan@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:59:41 +0200
Cc: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS ECH, how much can the hint stick out?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the design constraints and the following idea
has been thought of and discarded, but could we not remove trial decryption
and replace it with a trial HMAC, at the cost of adding yet more crypto.

- The outer ClientHello contains an ECH extension as usual.
- The ServerHello ALWAYS echoes the ECH extension, whether it chooses the inner or outer ClientHello.
- This ServerHello extension contains an HMAC  of (say) an empty bytestring (or the current transcript)
   with a key derived from the chosen handshake secret (i.e. either using the innerCH or outerCH),
- On receiving the ServerHello, the client generates both possible handshake secrets and both
  possible HMAC keys, verifies the HMAC and uses it to choose the correct handshake secret.

Does the above still conflict with QUIC and open up active MitM attacks?

Best,
Karthik