Re: [TLS] [pkix] Possible revocation delay issue with TLS stapling

"Miller, Timothy J." <tmiller@mitre.org> Mon, 29 March 2010 13:02 UTC

From: "Miller, Timothy J." <tmiller@mitre.org>
To: 'Nicolas Williams' <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>, "Yngve N. Pettersen" <yngve@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:03:11 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "pkix@ietf.org" <pkix@ietf.org>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] [pkix] Possible revocation delay issue with TLS stapling

A possible 'fix' to the revocation window problem has always been shorter certificate validity periods.  This has its own costs.

IMHO, however, timeliness revocation isn't the problem.  Experience with real world PKIs shows that sometimes revocation simply doesn't happen.  The CA may not be available, the incident may never get reported, or the system may simply fail in any of a dozen different ways up to and including lost database transactions.  Don't think it doesn't happen.

In short, relying on revocation to deny access may not be a good idea, at least for some systems.  Since the usual goal of authentication is to enable authorization, it can be safer to rely on the authorization system--i.e., revoke the account, remove the account's privileges, or invalidate the mapping between the shouldn't-be-used-any-more key and the account.  This is where X.509 gets in trouble; X.509 binds keys to names, and names are strongly (and naturally) mapped to accounts, so under X.509 the ways in which an authorization system can break the key-to-account mapping are very limited.  (The alternative--binding names to keys--has it's own set of problems, naturally.  They're different from X.509's, though.)

Either way, PKI authentication isn't enough by itself.  You need an equivalent authorization infrastructure to really make things work.

-- Tim