Re: [TLS] New draft: draft-ietf-tls-tls13-14.txt

Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com> Tue, 12 July 2016 04:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 07:16:24 +0300
From: Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Sender: ilariliusvaara@welho.com
Cc: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] New draft: draft-ietf-tls-tls13-14.txt

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:08:00PM -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've just submitted draft-ietf-tls-tls13-14.txt and it should
> show up on the draft repository shortly. In the meantime you
> can find the editor's copy in the usual location at:

> As usual, comments welcome.
> -Ekr

Did a readthrough, here's a bunch of comments (didn't check the
issues list):

> ## Zero-RTT Data
>

> [[OPEN ISSUE: Should it be possible to combine 0-RTT with the
> server authenticating via a signature
> https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/issues/443]]

One should note that it is not clear what sort of continuity properties
should be provoded:

- Certificate valid for hostname
- The same key as in last time
- The same certificate as in last time

The last choice obviously limits lifetime of derived PSK to
the parent certificate.

Also, extension matching is quite different between those three (and the
last two are rather different from the current rules, tuned for 0-RTT
only being used with PSK.

> ##  Numbers
>
> Note that in some cases (e.g., DH parameters) it is necessary to represent
> integers as opaque vectors. In such cases, they are represented as unsigned
> integers (i.e., additional leading zero octets are not used even if the most
> significant bit is set).

Well, I think the DH parameters are gone, but DH public keys are still there,
and those AFAIK are padded with zeroes.

> ###  Client Hello
>
> When this message will be sent:
>
> > When a client first connects to a server, it is required to send the
> ClientHello as its first message. The client will also send a
> ClientHello when the server has responded to its ClientHello with a
> ServerHello that selects cryptographic parameters that don't match the
> client's "key_share" extension. In that case, the client MUST send the same
> ClientHello (without modification) except:

Should the "ServerHello" be "HelloRetryRequest"?

> - Including a new KeyShareEntry as the lowest priority share
>   (i.e., appended to the list of shares in the "key_share" extension).
>
> - Removing the EarlyDataIndication {{early-data-indication}} extension
>   if one was present. Early data is not permitted after HelloRetryRequest.

Also, adding cookie extension if that was present in HRR?

BTW, with the early_data context and cross-connection cookies gone, I
have figured out how to delta-compress the first client_hello and its
rejection against to-be-sent second client hello plus connection
parameters server selected into 6 bytes(!) of space (not including
return-reachability check or MAC).

> ###  Server Hello
>
> cipher_suite
> : The single cipher suite selected by the server from the list in
>   ClientHello.cipher_suites.  For resumed sessions, this field is
>   the value from the state of the session being resumed.
>   [[TODO: interaction with PSK.]]

Isn't this the true ciphersuite used on this connection, "resumption"
or not? Otherwise you can get into all sorts of crazy situations that
WILL be sources of implementation bugs.

The idea that it isn't true ciphersuite brings me bad flashbacks about
TLS 1.2 ticket "maybe resume" craziness (except this would be even
worse).

> extensions
> : A list of extensions.  Note that only extensions offered by the
>   client can appear in the server's list. In TLS 1.3, as opposed to
>   previous versions of TLS, the server's extensions are split between
>   the ServerHello and the EncryptedExtensions {{encrypted-extensions}}
>   message. The ServerHello MUST only include extensions which are
>   required to establish the cryptographic context. Currently the only
>   such extensions are "key_share", "pre_shared_key", and "early_data".
>   Clients MUST check the ServerHello for the presence of any forbidden
>   extensions and if any are found MUST terminate the handshake with a
>   "illegal_parameter" alert. In prior versions of TLS, the extensions
>   field could be omitted entirely if not needed, similar to
>   ClientHello. As of TLS 1.3, all clients and servers will send at
>   least one extension (at least "key_share" or "pre_shared_key").

Hasn't early_data just moved to EncryptedExtensions?

###  Hello Retry Request

> selected_group
> : The mutually supported group the server intends to negotiate and
>   is requesting a retried ClientHello/KeyShare for.
> {:br }

What is written into this field if server selects pure-PSK ciphersuite
and then decides to reject the ClientHello? Or connections that use
pure-PSK just plain can't be rejected for any reason (including IP
address verification in DTLS?)

> [[NOTE: cipher_suite may disappear. https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/issues/528]]

Currently assuming pure-PSK rejections are possible, cipher_suite is
needed to tell if the next group field contains anything sane or
not...

> The
> server SHOULD send only the extensions necessary for the client to
> generate a correct ClientHello pair (currently no such extensions
> exist). As with ServerHello, a
> HelloRetryRequest MUST NOT contain any extensions that were not first
> offered by the client in its ClientHello.

What about cookie? IIRC, it is allowed to be in HRR even without
being in CH...

> Upon receipt of a HelloRetryRequest, the client MUST first verify that
> the selected_group field corresponds to a group which was provided
> in the "supported_groups" extension in the original ClientHello.  It
> MUST then verify that the selected_group field does not correspond
> to a group which was provided in the "key_share" extension in the
> original ClientHello. If either of these checks fails, then the client
> MUST abort the handshake with a fatal "handshake_failure"
> alert. Clients SHOULD also abort with "handshake_failure" in response
> to any second HelloRetryRequest which was sent in the same connection
> (i.e., where the ClientHello was itself in response to a
> HelloRetryRequest).
>
> Otherwise, the client MUST send a ClientHello with an updated KeyShare
> extension to the server. The client MUST append a new KeyShareEntry
> for the group indicated in the selected_group field to the groups
> in its original KeyShare.

Again, rejections with cookie aren't spurious, and the cookie needs to
be added.

##  Hello Extensions

> An extension type MUST NOT appear in the ServerHello or HelloRetryRequest
> unless the same extension type appeared in the corresponding ClientHello.
> If a client receives an extension type in ServerHello or HelloRetryRequest
> that it did not request in the associated ClientHello, it MUST abort the
> handshake with an "unsupported_extension" fatal alert.

Cookie in HRR might not follow that....

> In general, the specification of each extension type needs to describe the
> effect of the extension both during full handshake and session resumption. Most
> current TLS extensions are relevant only when a session is initiated: when an
> older session is resumed, the server does not process these extensions in
> ClientHello, and does not include them in ServerHello. However, some
> extensions may specify different behavior during session resumption.
> [[TODO: update this and the previous paragraph to cover PSK-based resumption.]]

I would say that it is a bad idea for any extension to do anything
special with "resumption" without very good reasons.

In fact, the only non-connection-control extension that is relevant for
PSK I know is server_name.

Now, ALPN (connection-control by definition!) behaves specially with
early_data for darn good reasons (the ALP is locked).

This is made worse by the fact that what consistutes "resumption" is not
clearly defined (the ALPN rules are related to early_data, not choosing
PSK #0!).

> ###  Signature Algorithms
>
> * In TLS 1.2, the extension contained hash/signature pairs. The pairs are
>   encoded in two octets, so SignatureScheme values have been allocated to
>   align with TLS 1.2's encoding. Some legacy pairs are left unallocated. These
>   algorithms are deprecated as of TLS 1.3. They MUST NOT be offered or
>   negotiated by any implementation. In particular, MD5 {{SLOTH}} and SHA-224
>   MUST NOT be used.
>
> * ecdsa_secp256r1_sha256, etc., align with TLS 1.2's ECDSA hash/signature pairs.
>   However, the old semantics did not constrain the signing curve.

Also, for interoperability, any legal TLS 1.3 meaning of these algorithms must
be extended to apply to TLS 1.2, even for TLS 1.2 ClientHello. Anything else
would be pointless trap.

This impiles that RSA PSS and EdDSA work in TLS 1.2 and also how those work.

Also, even if meaning of the ECDSA codepoints changed, those would not break
that rule, since new definition is strict subset of old.

> ### Negotiated Groups
>
> As of TLS 1.3, servers are permitted to send the "supported_groups"
> extension to the client.  If the server has a group it prefers to the
> ones in the "key_share" extension but is still willing to accept the
> ClientHello, it SHOULD send "supported_groups" to update the client's
> view of its preferences.  Clients MUST NOT act upon any information
> found in "supported_groups" prior to successful completion of the
> handshake, but MAY use the information learned from a successfully
> completed handshake to change what groups they offer to a server in
> subsequent connections.

Are those supposed to be filtered to be subset of ones client advertised
or not? E.g. if client didn't indicate support for x448, can the server
still send x448?

> ### Key Share
>
> If this extension is not provided in a ServerHello or ClientHello,
> and the peer is offering (EC)DHE cipher suites, then the endpoint MUST close
> the connection with a fatal "missing_extension" alert.
> (see {{mti-extensions}})

Doesn't seem to consistent with the other descriptions of this and
pre_shared_key (those are just "MUST NOT select covered ciphersuite if
missing"). Of course, in practice, it might be more this (at least
that's how I would implement it)...

> [[TODO: Recommendation about what the client offers.
> Presumably which integer DH groups and which curves.]]

Bit crazy algorithm: If you haven't heard of this server before,
pick smallest you support, if you have, pick the one it selected
the last time.

> ### Pre-Shared Key Extension
>
> Note that although 0-RTT data is encrypted with the first PSK identity, the
> server MAY fall back to 1-RTT and select a different PSK identity if multiple
> identities are offered.

The temporal ordering in messages is actually selecting different PSK
and then rejecting 0-RTT.

> ### Early Data Indication
>
> obfuscated_ticket_age
> : The time since the client learned about the server configuration that it is
>   using, in milliseconds.  This value is added modulo 2^32 to with the
>   "ticket_age_add" value that was included with the ticket, see
>   {{NewSessionTicket}}.  This addition prevents passive observers from
>   correlating sessions unless tickets are reused.  Note: because ticket
>   lifetimes are restricted to a week, 32 bits is enough to represent any
>   plausible age, even in milliseconds.

And the addition also prevents correlating session with its parent,
even in case of reuse (this was the reason for switching to addition
from XOR).

> A server MUST validate that the ticket_age is within a small
> tolerance of the time since the ticket was issued (see {{replay-time}}).

Good luck with that...

Also, requirement that the server MUST proceed with the handshake and
reject 0-RTT if that validation fails would be good here...

> 0-RTT messages sent in the first flight have the same content types
> as their corresponding messages sent in other flights (handshake,
> application_data, and alert respectively) but are protected under
> different keys. After all the 0-RTT application data messages (if
> any) have been sent, an "end_of_early_data" alert of type
> "warning" is sent to indicate the end of the flight.
> 0-RTT MUST always be followed by an "end_of_early_data" alert.

This does not talk about if end_of_early_data alert is encrypted or
not (obviously encrypted one won't work if server rejected 0-RTT,
unless server trial-decrypts).

> If any of these checks fail, the server MUST NOT respond
> with the extension and must discard all the remaining first
> flight data (thus falling back to 1-RTT). If the client attempts
> a 0-RTT handshake but the server rejects it, it will generally
> not have the 0-RTT record protection keys and must instead
> trial decrypt each record with the 1-RTT handshake keys
> until it finds one that decrypts properly, and then pick up
> the handshake from that point.

Oh, still trial decryption... Got it.

> #### Processing Order
>
> Clients are permitted to "stream" 0-RTT data until they
> receive the server's Finished, only then sending the "end_of_early_data"
> alert. In order to avoid deadlock, when accepting "early_data",
> servers MUST process the client's Finished and then immediately
> send the ServerHello, rather than waiting for the client's
> "end_of_early_data" alert.

I think there was some proposal to dump the Finished. Would simplify
implementation. In TLS, there is at least one appdata record with its
MAC to be deprotected. That's not true in DTLS.

However, even in DTLS, any wrong keys almost certainly cause handshake
to immediately blow up as handshake keys won't match up...

> #### Replay Properties {#replay-time}
>
> There are several potential sources of error that make an exact
> measurement of time difficult.  Variations in client and server clocks
> are likely to be minimal, outside of gross time corrections.  Network
> propagation delays are most likely causes of a mismatch in legitimate
> values for elapsed time.  Both the NewSessionTicket and ClientHello
> messages might be retransmitted and therefore delayed, which might be
> hidden by TCP.

I don't think variations in clocks are minimal...

I wonder what 95% timeskew interval per day is...

(Oh, and have fun with leap seconds!)

> ###  Encrypted Extensions
>
> The same extension types MUST NOT appear in both the ServerHello and
> EncryptedExtensions.  If the same extension appears in both locations,
> the client MUST rely only on the value in the EncryptedExtensions
> block.  All server-sent extensions other than those explicitly listed
> in {{server-hello}} or designated in the IANA registry MUST only
> appear in EncryptedExtensions. Extensions which are designated to
> appear in ServerHello MUST NOT appear in EncryptedExtensions. Clients
> MUST check EncryptedExtensions for the presence of any forbidden
> extensions and if any are found MUST terminate the handshake with an
> "illegal_parameter" alert.

This seems inconsistent. In implementation, I would write explicit disjoint
whitelists of extensions for both (and non-whitelisted one is a fatal
error). Explicit whitelisting is safe even on client side, since the
extensions are bounded by client-supported ones.

> ###  Certificate Request
>
>   - The Extended Key Usage extension in a certificate matches the
>   request when all key purpose OIDs present in the request are also
>   found in the Extended Key Usage certificate extension. The special
>   anyExtendedKeyUsage OID MUST NOT be used in the request.

How are multiple OIDs represented? Multiple EKU OID/value pairs?

> #### Server Certificate Selection
>

> - The "server_name" and "trusted_ca_keys" extensions {{RFC6066}} are used to
>   guide certificate selection. As servers MAY require the presence of the "server_name"
>   extension, clients SHOULD send this extension, when applicable.

I think the certificate should be REQUIRED to match (as in, not be
inconsistent with it) server_name, even if not ACK'd.

> ###  Certificate Verify
>
> If sent by a server, the signature algorithm MUST be one offered in the
> client's "signature_algorithms" extension unless no valid certificate chain can be
> produced without unsupported algorithms (see {{signature-algorithms}}). Note that
> there is a possibility for inconsistencies here. For instance, the client might
> offer an ECDHE_ECDSA cipher suite but omit any ECDSA and EdDSA values from its
> "signature_algorithms" extension. In order to negotiate correctly, the server
> MUST check any candidate cipher suites against the "signature_algorithms"
> extension before selecting them. This is somewhat inelegant but is a compromise
> designed to minimize changes to the original cipher suite design.

The exception on not having valid value can not work at all. With
certificates, even if the EE cert is signed with unknown algorithm,
there is a small chance things will work. In contrast, there is
absolutely no chance of success if either endpoint tries ot use this
fallback.

> Note: When used with non-certificate-based handshakes (e.g., PSK), the
> client's signature does not cover the server's certificate directly,
> although it does cover the server's Finished message, which
> transitively includes the server's certificate when the PSK derives
> from a certificate-authenticated handshake.  {{PSK-FINISHED}}
> describes a concrete attack on this mode if the Finished is omitted
> from the signature. It is unsafe to use certificate-based client
> authentication when the client might potentially share the same
> PSK/key-id pair with two different endpoints. In order to ensure
> this, implementations MUST NOT mix certificate-based client
> authentication with pure PSK modes (i.e., those where the
> PSK was not derived from a previous non-PSK handshake).

Does this apply to in-handshake or post-handshake auth? I thought
in-handshake auth with PSK is not possible.

If it is intended to be possible, that's certainly going to be
surprising to implementers, and there are probably going to be multiple
implementations that outright choke if one tries to send
CertificateRequest in (DHE-)PSK mode

> ## Record Payload Protection
>
> length
> : The length (in bytes) of the following TLSCiphertext.fragment, which
>   is the sum of the lengths of the content and the padding, plus one
>   for the inner content type. The length MUST NOT exceed 2^14 + 256.
>   An endpoint that receives a record that exceeds this length MUST
>   generate a fatal "record_overflow" alert.

Later the document seems to imply that the limit for for content+type+
padding is in fact 16385 bytes.

> ## Per-Record Nonce {#nonce}
>
> Sequence numbers do not wrap.  If a TLS implementation would need to
> wrap a sequence number, it MUST either rekey ({{key-update}}) or
> terminate the connection.

Maybe add requirement that record with sequence number of 2^64-1 MUST
be either fatal alert or KeyUpdate.

> ## Limits on Key Usage
>
> For AES-GCM, up to 2^24.5 full-size records may be encrypted on a
> given connection while keeping a safety margin of approximately
> 2^-57 for Authenticated Encryption (AE) security. For
> ChaCha20/Poly1305, the record sequence number will wrap before the
> safety limit is reached.

I would expand that 2^24.5 to some rough number ("about 24 million"?).

And also "will wrap" -> "would wrap". Because such wrapping can't
happen (even if endpoint delays KeyUpdate to RSN 2^64-1).

> ## Key Schedule
>
> If a given secret is not available, then the 0-value consisting of
> a string of Hash.length zeroes is used.  Note that this does not mean skipping
> rounds, so if PSK is not in use Early Secret will still be
> HKDF-Extract(0, 0).

This might cause fun with future key exchange types...

> # IANA Considerations

> | Extension                                | Recommended |  TLS 1.3  |
> |:-----------------------------------------|------------:|----------:|
> | max_fragment_length [RFC6066]            |         Yes | Encrypted |

I think this needs to be in ServerHello on server-side, given how low-
level it is.

> | user_mapping [RFC4681]                   |         Yes | Encrypted |
> | client_authz [RFC5878]                   |          No | Encrypted |
> | server_authz [RFC5878]                   |          No | Encrypted |

These darn things use Supplemental Data messages, would need to define
where the data goes.  And one can't stick it to extension for
user_mapping and client_authz, because those are sent by the client,
not the server.

> | cookie [[this document]]                 |         Yes | Encrypted/HelloRetryRequest |

Isn't that "Client/HelloRetryRequest"? I don't think EncryptedExtensions
can have Cookie...

> -  TLS SignatureScheme Registry: Values with the first byte in the range
>   0-254 (decimal) are assigned via Specification Required {{RFC2434}}.
>   Values with the first byte 255 (decimal) are reserved for Private
>   Use {{RFC2434}}. This registry SHALL have a "Recommended" column.
>   The registry [shall be/ has been] initially populated with the values described in
>   {{signature-algorithms}}. The following values SHALL be marked as
>   "Recommended": ecdsa_secp256r1_sha256, ecdsa_secp384r1_sha384,
>   rsa_pss_sha256, rsa_pss_sha384, rsa_pss_sha512, ed25519.

Should the two registeries shadowed by this closed?

> ## Cipher Suites
>
> Note: The values listed for ECDHE and ChaCha/Poly are preliminary but
> are being or will be used for interop testing and therefore are likely to be
> assigned.

Isn't the RFC already published, so the codepoints are stable?

> ## Random Number Generation and Seeding
>
> To estimate the amount of seed material being produced, add the number of bits
> of unpredictable information in each seed byte. For example, keystroke timing
> values taken from a PC compatible 18.2 Hz timer provide 1 or 2 secure bits
> each, even though the total size of the counter value is 16 bits or more.
> Seeding a 128-bit PRNG would thus require approximately 100 such timer values.

This seems really obsolete. The timers have not been 18.2Hz for years, and
applications running on operating systems damn better use OS services for
random numbers, given that anything else is fraught with peril.

> ## Implementation Pitfalls
>
> -  Have you ensured that all support for SSL, RC4, EXPORT ciphers, and
>   MD5 (via the "signature_algorithm" extension) is completely removed from
>   all possible configurations that support TLS 1.3 or later, and that
>   attempts to use these obsolete capabilities fail correctly?
>   (see {{backward-compatibility}})

Better to just nuke the code entierely for all versions.

"Disabled" code has nasty tendency of coming back to life.

> -  Do you handle TLS extensions in ClientHello correctly, including
>   unknown extensions or omitting the extensions field completely?

The extensions field can't be omitted in TLS 1.3. And I would
consider TLS 1.2 client implementations that send such messages
as quite pathological.

> Cryptographic details:
>
> -  What countermeasures do you use to prevent timing attacks against
>   RSA signing operations {{TIMING}}?

Also, ECDSA signing operations do have problems with timing attacks.

> - When verifying RSA signatures, do you accept both NULL and missing parameters?
>   Do you verify that the RSA padding
>   doesn't have additional data after the hash value? {{FI06}}

Also, the lengths need to be correct (not verifying this leads to an
attack). Best just to treat first length bytes >0x82 or >0x83 as
malformed. There is no way to send legimate message with first length
byte >0x83 in TLS.

> #  Overview of Security Properties {#security-analysis}
>
> [[TODO: This section is still a WIP and needs a bunch more work.]]
>
> A complete security analysis of TLS is outside the scope of this document.
> In this section, we provide an informal description the desired properties
> as well as references to more detailed work in the research literature
> which provides more formal definitions.
>
> We cover properties of the handshake separately from those of the record layer.

I think properties of the exporter should be covered as well:

- Is it intended to generate secret data (yes)
- Is it intended to generate connection-unique data (yes)
- Are values for different labels/contexts intended to be computationally
  independent (yes)

(The TLS 1.2 exporter without EMS failed the middle requirement,
creating security issues in applications that assumed the data was
connection-unique.

-Ilari