Re: [TLS] TLS@IETF101 Agenda Posted

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 09 March 2018 22:07 UTC

To: Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Joseph Salowey <joe@salowey.net>, "<tls@ietf.org>" <tls@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 22:07:25 +0000
Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS@IETF101 Agenda Posted

Kathleen,

On 09/03/18 21:57, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
> Hello, Stephen.
>
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Stephen Farrell
> <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I gotta say that answer seems to me both unresponsive
>> to the questions asked and unconvincing.
>>
>> On 08/03/18 23:08, Joseph Salowey wrote:
>>> Hi Stephen,
>>>
>>> In the meeting in Prague there was interest in this problem space, but
>>> neither the consensus to accept or reject this work.
>>
>> Without rough consensus to adopt, the work is not adopted.
>>
>> But your statement above isn't accurate - it wasn't "this work"
>> (as in this draft) that was discussed in Prague, but rather the
>> entire idea of weakening TLS in these ways - quoting from the
>> Prague minutes [1]:
>>
>> "The main question: Is this subject something that the WG should
>> consider?"
>
> The hummed answer to that question was very close to 50/50 in the
> room, inconclusive.

I'm sorry to disagree but it was entirely clear there was a
lack of consensus. That's the significant thing here. And
there is zero evidence that anyone's changing their position.

That ought be enough for the chairs to say no to all proposals
in this space unless someone turns up with something unexpected.

That's not the case here - in discussion of this draft, various
folks asked on the list that we stop the constant debate about
making TLS worse, so there is zero evidence that this draft is
going to change people's minds.

Where am I wrong?

>> There is clearly no consensus to adopt *any* work in this space,
>> whether that be draft-green or this latest iteration from Russ
>> and Ralph.
>
> It was clear that there was no consensus to adopt draft-green and that
> is considered dead in the water, we agree there.

The question asked in Prague was not specific to draft-green.
I would have preferred if it had been and Lucy Lynch suggested
that in fact (so say the minutes) but the chairs conferred and
asked a much more general question. The consequence is that
Russ and Ralph's draft, having been discussed on the list, with
no evidence that it's changed minds, ought not be taken further
in the WG and ought not get agenda time.

Where am I wrong?

> Since there was
> interest (50% of the room) to consider work in this space, I agree
> with the chairs assessment to allow this presentation.  I am confident
> they will work on any hums to carefully assess next steps and if any
> future proposals belong in this WG or elsewhere.

Again, I'm sorry but that's just not logical. There's abundant
evidence that people's opinions have not changed from the earlier
discussion of Russ and Ralph's draft so it makes no sense at all
to repeatedly impose this divisive topic on the WG.

S.