Re: [TLS] Data volume limits

"Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu> Wed, 16 December 2015 15:44 UTC

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu>
To: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:44:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.25.177.65]
Subject: Re: [TLS] Data volume limits

OK, let me try an extremely naïve approach.

Say, an adversary observes a ton of TLS traffic between A and B. Using approach that Watson and others outlined, he can now tell that this is not a truly random stream but a bunch of encrypted data. My question is, from practical real-world point of view - so what? (Of course, beyond the ability to publish a real paper that IND-* has been compromised :)

If there are practical consequences, like loss of confidentiality – I’m dying to hear the outline of a practical attack.
--
Regards,
Uri Blumenthal