Re: [TLS] Keeping TLS extension points working

Raja ashok <raja.ashok@huawei.com> Tue, 02 August 2016 06:58 UTC

From: Raja ashok <raja.ashok@huawei.com>
To: David Benjamin <davidben@chromium.org>, "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 06:58:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.213.121]
Subject: Re: [TLS] Keeping TLS extension points working

Hi Benjamin,

I have gone through the GREASE mechanism which you proposed in your new draft. It’s really a nice idea for finding a buggy server before it thrives.

I am having few doubts on this, which are listed below.

a)      What should be the behaviour of client incase if a buggy server responded for a GREASE value ?

-          Consider a client sends a GREASE cipher value at first place and followed by valid cipher suites, in its client hello.

-          If a buggy server selects that cipher then it will response server hello with that GREASE cipher value. At this case if client sends FATAL alert then both side TLS and TCP needs to be closed and client needs to recreate a new TCP connection, and then restart TLS handshake without GREASE cipher value.

-          Instead of this we can make client to send warning alert (with new TLS alert code GREASE_CIPHER_VALUE_SELECTED(111)) and restart TLS handshake by sending client hello again.

-          If a server receives this new warning, then it should be ready to receive new client hello to restart handshake.

SERVER                                                                                                                         CLIENT

CH (GREASE Cipher value & Valid Cipher value)          ------>

                                                                        <-------                  SH (GREASE cipher value)

Fatal alert                    -------->

TCP (SYN)                    -------->

                                                                                                        <--------                TCP(SYN ACK)

TCP (ACK)                    -------->

CH (Valid cipher value)                                                          ------->

                        Scenario 1 : Sending FATAL alert for server selecting GREASE value

SERVER                                                                                                                         CLIENT

CH (GREASE Cipher value & Valid Cipher value)          ------->

                                                                        <-------                  SH (GREASE cipher value)

Warning alert             -------->

CH (Valid cipher value)                                                          ------->

                        Scenario 2 : Sending WARNING alert for server selecting GREASE value

-          I hope sending warning msg and restarting TLS handshake will be efficient.

-          TLS Server must notify the application, whenever it receives a GREASE warning alert.

b)      Why only few values are specified as GREASE value ? Basically all value which are not specified by IANA should be considered as GREASE value right ?

-          Basically client should maintain the list of values (cipher suite, extensions) specified by IANA. The range of values.

-          For example IANA specified cipher suite values are {{0x0000,0x005C}, {0x0060,0x006D}, {0x0084, 0x00C5}, {0x00FF, 0x00FF} ….. }. This should be maintained in client.

-          We should make the client to choose a random value which are not in this supported value list. That cipher value should be considered as GREASE value and need to keep in first place of its cipher list.

-          If its selected by a buggy server, then client should behave as mentioned in above scenario 2.

-          Even in future if IANA provides new values to new cipher, then this list also should be updated. Consider in this case server is supporting that new cipher and client is not aware about it, so client can propose that value as GREASE value, then still connection will work with the 2nd handshake.

-          I am not understanding why we are planning to maintain a few set of GREASE values {0x0A0A, 0x1A1A …. }. If I am missing something, please clarify me.

Regards,
R Ashok

________________________________
Raja Ashok VK
华为技术有限公司 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
[Company_logo]

Phone:
Fax:
Mobile:
Email:
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bangalore, India
http://www.huawei.com
本邮件及其附件含有华为公司的保密信息,仅限于发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组。禁
止任何其他人以任何形式使用(包括但不限于全部或部分地泄露、复制、或散发)本邮件中
的信息。如果您错收了本邮件,请您立即电话或邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件!
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by