Re: [Tm-rid] 1st steps - time lines and drafts

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Thu, 01 August 2019 14:53 UTC

To: "Card, Stu" <stu.card@axenterprize.com>
Cc: tm-rid@ietf.org
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 10:53:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [Tm-rid] 1st steps - time lines and drafts

I agree that although extensiblity is attractive, the payload cost can
be prohibitive.  The question wrt to HIP TLVs compared to CBOR should be
one of efficient design.  HIP was done well before CBOR; its grouping of
parameter is noted as superior to other's catch as can approach.  So
care will have to be taken.

COID is significantly better than X.509 for constrained environments.
Not as good as 'raw' structures introduced by HIP and used elsewhere
since, but if you need the full capability of a digital certificate in a
'new', constrained, environment, then it demands careful consideration.
Of course there are no PKI products that support it.  This too is a
consideration.

Than, perhaps, there is comparing COSE with secure transport.  If there
is no transport layer (even Internetworking because it is all
broadcast), then perhaps COSE has added value.  Again expert review is
needed.

And I hope that those familiar with ASTM, FAA, ICAO, et al work will be
able to lend a hand in this evaluation.