Re: [Drip] I-D Action: draft-ietf-drip-rid-11.txt

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Thu, 21 October 2021 13:09 UTC

To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, "tm-rid@ietf.org" <tm-rid@ietf.org>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 09:09:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [Drip] I-D Action: draft-ietf-drip-rid-11.txt

On 10/21/21 2:40 AM, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thank you for addressing the comment from the cfrg, particularly this one: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cfrg/tAJJq60W6TlUv7_pde5cw5TDTCU/
> BTW, please check the 2nd line of the third paragraph of the new text about pre-image attack as I'm not sure to parse it.
>
> Also, it could be great if you can motivate the change in the normative language in Section 4.2. Thank you.

I believe this is about the MUSTs in:

     The low-order 68 bits (HIT Suite ID | ORCHID hash) of the HHIT
     SHALL be left-padded with 2 bits of ZERO.  This 70 bit number will
     be encoded into 14 characters using the digit/letters above. The
     manufacturer MUST use a Length Code of F (15).  The first character
     after the Length Code MUST be 'Z', followed by the 14 characters of
     the encoded HIT Suite ID and ORCHID hash.

At first I was allowing either for a Length Code of E or F and if F then
choose what you want for the first character of the MFR SN field.

Then I considered the other side:  the observer that will be parsing
this CTA SN.

How to at least hint to the receiver that the CTA SN MAY be an encoded
HHIT and either watch for a Authentication Message to directly prove it
or look up (in some yet to be defined service) the MFR CODE to see if it
points to a HHIT PREFIX|HID.

So I realized I needed to strongly restrict the encoding rules to
facilitate the receiver processing.  That 'FZ' provides the hint to the
receiver that this CTA SN MAY be an encoded HHIT.

Of course we can use ANY of the 34 allowed characters, I chose 'Z' with
no explanation.

Note that at first I wrote it with SHOULD, but that still leaves it up
to the sender with resultant impact on the receiver.  So I used MUST.