Re: [Tm-rid] Draft charter

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Thu, 10 October 2019 20:25 UTC

To: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>, "tm-rid@ietf.org" <tm-rid@ietf.org>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:24:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [Tm-rid] Draft charter

Eric,

Typical breakfast.  Not too creative only what morning tea to have on a
given day.

On 10/10/19 1:53 PM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> Standard
>
> Bob,
>
> I hope that your breakfast was a good one ;-)
>
> More seriously, the privacy issue simply needs to be addressed by a
> document (or part of a document). If regulations say ‘no privacy’,
> then this is also a statement. But, I would believe that it is also
> privacy towards ‘normal citizens’ but again I can be wrong about the
> FAA rules. TM-RID needs a privacy consideration.

Stu can speak better to this than me, but from what I heard, the FAA
controls all the airspace in the US and if you have something there, you
can be called on it.

In the past, most of this has been in the noise that has not gotten
attention.  Other than when someone's RF plane flies over an airport
because a gust of wind blew it past control of the operator.

Now with little UAV, again going out of RF range of the teen controlling
them, flying in front of landing aircraft (it is so cool to fly your UAV
in the neat field by the airport...).  Any exception would be the case
that caused the accident.

Of course there will always be problems.  The UAV sold in a garage sale
and the new owner NOT updating the registration information. But expect
the FAA to act as it needs to.  Plus the penalties can be harsh.

Look at MacTaggart's comment about building inspections and a spec of
paint on a sprinkler.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/10/tech/alastair-mactaggart/index.html

Regs get put in place because of lessons learned and everyone is
learning lots of lessons with UAS and everyone is behind the curve. Of
course the claim is that the biggest user of drone deliver are the drug
dealers...

Now HOW the USS manages the data it has on the operators is out of scope
of this work and gets into real policy legislation.

> Per your previous email, yes: I meant that IESG wants to ensure that
> HIP is the right solution and no other layer-2 or layer-3 techniques
> fit the requirements. So, another document to be prepared for this
> specific TM-RID use case.

I am looking at 'invent HITs for IKE' argument.  Stu will have to
provide the l2 vs l3 discussion as he has the knowledge about the
systems in use today.

> So, all “i” must be dotted and “t” crossed ;-)

I have docs to write.  I know.  I did the easy ones first.

--
Standard Robert Moskowitz
Owner