[Tmrg] sending rate of a TCP flow

krasnoj at gmx.at (Stefan Hirschmann) Sat, 24 October 2009 16:17 UTC

From: "krasnoj at gmx.at"
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:17:05 +0200
Subject: [Tmrg] sending rate of a TCP flow

Hi!

aydin at mail.eecis.udel.edu wrote:
 > hypothesis: When N long-lived TCP flows (with the same RTT and MSS
values)
 > share a bottleneck link in a dumbbell  topology (all the edge links have
 > the same delay and bandwidth), I expect each TCP flow to have the same
 > sending rate -- Assume no other cross traffic in the network and
drop-tail
 > queues.

There are so called phase effects. Because of them, this assumption is
wrong.

 > Do you know any references (simulation-, emulation-, or real
 > experiment-based studies) that prove this hypothesis or the opposite?

When I download two large files from rapidshare.com over my own internet
connection -  ADSL link (2Mbps) - sometimes one flow gets 160 Kbps and
the other one around 50 Kbps. This is my own experience.

My ns-2 simulations showed the same effects.

Stefan