[Tmrg] Some NIST work that might be of interest to members of this research group

kmills at nist.gov (Kevin Mills) Tue, 03 March 2009 19:36 UTC

From: "kmills at nist.gov"
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 14:36:02 -0500
Subject: [Tmrg] Some NIST work that might be of interest to members of this research group

Some colleagues and I at NIST are applying mathematical and statistical methods,
used by physical scientists, with an aim to understand and predict behavior in
complex information systems, such as data communications networks and
computational grids. As one challenge problem we are studying the network-wide
implications of replacing TCP congestion control with one of six proposed
alternatives (BIC, CTCP, FAST, HSTCP, HTCP and Scalable TCP). We have completed
half of the study, which you can find in draft form on-line at the following

There also is a powerpoint presentation that covers some of the theory
underlying our approach
(http://www.antd.nist.gov/~mills/presentations/IMSComplexSystems2008v12.pdf).

If you think you might be interested in reviewing and commenting on our work,
then please do.

Should the research group wish to learn more about our work, then we could
probably arrange a presentation at one of your future meetings.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Kevin Mills

NIST
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8920
Bldg. 222/B218