[Tmrg] Queue size - Towards a Common TCP Evaluation Suite

krasnoj at gmx.at (Stefan Hirschmann) Wed, 30 July 2008 10:32 UTC

From: "krasnoj at gmx.at"
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:32:51 +0200
Subject: [Tmrg] Queue size - Towards a Common TCP Evaluation Suite

Hi!

In the "Common TCP Evaluation Suite draft-irtf-tmrg-tests-00" there is the section:
"3.2. Delay/throughput tradeoff as function of queue size"
describing the buffer sizes of the routers, but only for the access link scenario.

I wanted to extend the values to the other scenarios and noticed a problem with it.
The BDP of the Dial-Up Link scenario is 64Kbps * 0.1 s / 8 = 0.8 KByte -> 0.8 / 1.5 = 0,53 packets.

So even if I use the BDP the value is much too small. A rounding to one is IMHO also not realistic. What value should be used as a minimum buffer size and why?

Also when I looked at the document I noticed that there is no scenario between 64 kbps and 11 Mbps. By now, nearly the whole ADSL edge connections are larger than 64 kbps and smaller than 11 Mbps. Is there a reason why there is no scenario in this range?

Cheers Stefan
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf at gmx