[Tmrg] Proposal to increase TCP initial CWND

krasnoj at gmx.at (Stefan Hirschmann) Tue, 20 July 2010 21:20 UTC

From: "krasnoj at gmx.at"
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:20:59 +0200
Subject: [Tmrg] Proposal to increase TCP initial CWND

Lachlan Andrew wrote:
> Greetings TMRG folk,
>
> [...]

> The basic TMRG-related issue was:  If a data centre changes a TCP
> parameter for *its* flows, how can it estimate the degradation caused
> to *other* flows sharing resources with these flows?  Google is awash
> with data, but it all shares the bias of coming from their data
> centres.  What models are appropriate to infer the impact on the
> unmeasured flows?

Just a thing I want to mention here. It is not only about this draft it
is more general how we should model Slow-Start:

My own ADSL connection has 1.7 Mb and uses a queue-size of max 110
packets (last mile router). So I believe the Google results, saying it
is an improvement for my connection. But what is the message: "We sent
less than the buffers of the routers can bear and it was faster." Even
if they would sent the whole 70 KB at once (I think this is the maximum
size of a Google search result) it would be faster, cause my "last mile"
router can queue it. If I have a background traffic using most of the
buffer, there will be lots of packet drops and the transmission will be
slower.

So the approach has to be: Make sure that there is packet drop else the
results have no rational conclusion.

Cheers Stefan