[Tmrg] A new performance measurement tool - flowgrind

zimmermann at cs.rwth-aachen.de (Alexander Zimmermann) Wed, 19 August 2009 12:33 UTC

From: "zimmermann at cs.rwth-aachen.de"
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:33:47 +0200
Subject: [Tmrg] A new performance measurement tool - flowgrind

Hi all,

during our last research projects we ran into some problems with the
current performance measurement tools like iperf, netperf, and the
like. Mostly these tools are not able to schedule a bunch of flows
among a number of nodes in a easy way or report more than throughput
(e.g., kernel variables like CWND, SSTHRESH).

Amongst others flowgrind implements the following features:

* Distributed architecture
* Sophisticated flow scheduling
* Linux kernel TCP statistics
* Split control and data connection
* Application layer 1-way (IAT) and 2-way (RTT) delay
* Customizable socket options
* Anderson-Darling statistical test
* Monitoring, measuring, and accounting
* Rate-limited flows (Uniform and poisson packet distribution)

For more information, please check our site: http://www.umic-mesh.net/research/flowgrind/

If you interest in flowgrind you can download there tarball or
directly access the code via
our subversion repository: svn://svn.umic-mesh.net/flowgrind/trunk

Comments and patches are more than welcome!

NB: At the moment flowgrind runs only under Linux :-(

Alex

//
// Dipl.-Inform. Alexander Zimmermann
// Department of Computer Science, Informatik 4
// RWTH Aachen University
// Ahornstr. 55, 52056 Aachen, Germany
// phone: (49-241) 80-21422, fax: (49-241) 80-22220
// email: zimmermann at cs.rwth-aachen.de
// web: http://www.umic-mesh.net
//