[TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Notes -- 9 Jun 2020

Cindy Morgan <cmorgan@amsl.com> Tue, 09 June 2020 19:31 UTC

Return-Path: <cmorgan@amsl.com>
X-Original-To: tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A8B823A0D38 for <tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.899
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.899 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id NXO-WJGOxfOm for <tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail.amsl.com (c8a.amsl.com [4.31.198.40]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ADH-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 507FF3A0D3C for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:30:52 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by c8a.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id C2101204664 for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
Received: from c8a.amsl.com ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (c8a.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id ANFUmkoIvtaj for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [10.0.1.11] (c-73-71-162-89.hsd1.ca.comcast.net [73.71.162.89]) by c8a.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 81FB9204663 for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 8.2 \(2104\))
From: Cindy Morgan <cmorgan@amsl.com>
In-Reply-To: <4fce4217-1bb5-2519-7a03-d2bd7c0cb16b@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 12:30:11 -0700
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-Id: <8CC81DB2-4EEF-4768-A7C0-4C501FC6CDEF@amsl.com>
References: <4fce4217-1bb5-2519-7a03-d2bd7c0cb16b@nostrum.com>
To: IETF Tools Development <tools-development@ietf.org>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.2104)
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tools-development/3FurkOobJ4VviOusrxNt8-huJPA>
Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Notes -- 9 Jun 2020
X-BeenThere: tools-development@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Tools Development mail list <tools-development.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/tools-development>, <mailto:tools-development-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tools-development/>
List-Post: <mailto:tools-development@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:tools-development-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development>, <mailto:tools-development-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 19:31:14 -0000

Tools Call Meeting -- 9 June 2020 at 1800 UTC

Present:

- Alexey Melnikov 
- Alice Russo 
- Cindy Morgan 
- Éric Vyncke 
- Henrik Levkowetz 
- Rich Salz 
- Robert Sparks 
- Roman Danyliw 
- Russ Housley 
- Ryan Cross 

Regrets: 

- Alexa Morris 
- Glen Barney 
- Jay Daley
- Liz Flynn 


1. Hot Topics
   - RFC Production blocking issues - Alice / Henrik

Robert via email: There was a bubble of issues this month requiring several xml2rfc releases. Note that this slowed the datatracker work on Django2 and meetecho integration somewhat.

Alice: I went through all the docs, and recent releases have resolved several things. There is one doc in TI with an issue about line folding.

Robert: Is it pressing on production? How long does Henrik have to look at it?

Alice: It's in AUTH48. We need to let authors know if this will be changed or not.

Robert: There was a flurry of issues from the RPC over the past month, and a significant number of XML2RFC releases to fix those, so Henrik has had to focus on that more heavily than usual in this past month. Is there anything else we need to discuss on potential RPC blocking issues?

[No]

   - IETF 108 tooling support - Robert / Alexa / Henrik
      - datatracker/registration system integration

Robert via email: There is a new API endpoint that the new registration system uses to tell the datatracker details about registrations, creating datatracker accounts as necessary.

Robert: This is similar to the existing workflow, but the kickoff is different. 

      - datatracker/meetecho integration

Robert via email: We are integrating an openid provider into the datatracker, and providing the information necessary for meetecho to use to grant users the ability to speak in a given session.

Robert: The goal is to get to a point where Meetecho sign in and datatracker sign in is integrated. Éric asked about hums in Meetecho; I don't know about that but I know Alexa has been working on that.

Roman: There is active discussion in the IESG about how to do that. No specifics, but it's a hot topic of discussion on how to implement it.

Robert: So building requirements for Meetecho?

Roman: The UI wouldn't be that huge and we can probably get started on the backend when we decide what the buttons will do when you click them.

   - Are there any other priority tool changes needed?

Rich: For clarification, the OpenID work, that would work to let the Datatracker be an identify provider for things like Webex?

Robert: That is the hope. We will be testing that to determine identity. Also OAUTH2 layer underneath it. 

Rich: That's amazingly awesome, thank you.

Henrik: For now, client registration is manual, so you'll have to have Robert or me or maybe Ryan to get a client set up, and there is also policy issues involved in that.

Rich: That's okay; one step at a time.

2. Development Projects
   - Meeting Application Improvements (IOLA) - Robert

Robert via email: IOLA is working through the feedback from the secretariat on the new schedule editor. None of this will block scheduling for 108, but the new scheduler may not be what gets used yet.

Robert: He thinks he'll get through the current feedback in the next couple of weeks, and then another 4-6 weeks to go through the rest of it.

   - Automated Scheduler Part II (DashCare) - Robert

Robert via email: This is code-complete and awaiting my review.

Robert: Once we have this integrated, I will work with the Secretariat to show them how to use it and we'll see if it helps. It's going to be most useful when we get back to in-person meetings, or have online meetings with a similar density/conflicts.

Russ: We do have the same inputs, but it's the density you expect to be different?

Robert: Yes. It can be run on the online meetings, I just don't expect it to be as helpful as it will be when we have a lot of conflicts. 

   - RPC Security Code Review (ZX Security) - Robert

Robert via email: The code review is essentially complete. The most critical issue identified (a possible remote-execution exploit) has already been addressed by the RPC. We have populated a private github repository to do the remaining remediation work in.

Robert: Once it's remediated, we'll take a snapshot of that repository, not a clone, that won't show the remediation work and create the initial public repository. Best guess is we'll be done with this within the next month. 

   - YangCatalog (Pantheon) - Éric / Robert

Robert via email: As Jay noted on list, an amended statement of work is now in place, and we are developing a concrete schedule for the new deliverables (copied here for convenience):

* migrating yangcatalog to the cloud and implementing cloud features agreed with IETF LLC; 
* managing the cloud yangcatalog to meet performance and uptime requirements agreed with IETF LLC, 
* developing a web interface to enable administrative work to be performed by a third party, with features as specified by IETF LLC; 
* supporting the transfer of administrative work to a third party nominated by IETF LLC, including identifying and documenting tasks, and providing support and remote training for the third party.

Eric via email: About YangCatalog, I had a call this Monday morning with the Pantheon contractor (Miroslav) and Benoît Claise:

• The containerized version is ready to ship at yang2.amsl.com and as 
  the current server uses old code, it is becoming ‘urgent’ to migrate 
  to the new server. When migration is done, Benoit Claise is happy to 
  send an email to Yang-doctors, netmod WG, ... asking for some more 
  tests
• The work on web UI for administration (adding a new SDO or new vendor, 
  cleaning files, looking in the logs/journals) will start mid-June
• Work on cloudified version is yet to start
• Benoit and I have not current plan to host a YC.O virtual hackathon 
  project for IETF-108 (but ideas like YC.O CLI client or adding 
  telemetry support to YC.O are floated right now – more to come next 
  week probably)

Robert: Current production server is lagging. Need to prioritize deploying the containerized version. Working on a schedule for this, will be starting on this over the next couple of weeks to deploy this over a cloud service.

Éric: Do you think we could swap the DNS to point to the YANG2 server?

Robert: If you just want that to become production, that's an easy swap.

Éric: But if we have to fall back, if Glen and Ryan can be available.

Robert: Can you send email to Glen detailing that question?

Éric: Will do.

Robert: So we will have that conversation in email.


   - Moving the datatracker to Django 2.2 - Henrik

Henrik: Next step is 2.1, and then 2.2. I have things ahead of those steps in the queue, so it's hard to really do time estimates for those, but my guess is within a month we should be up to 2.2.


   - DMARC/SPF for aliases - Henrik

Robert: And we had a task that I don't think got any cycles, on how to do DMARC for aliases. Glen and Henrik and John will get together on this. Henrik, will you take the token to drive that conversation, or should I?

Henrik: Whatever is best for you.

Robert: I am happy to let you do that.


   - Capturing external resources in the datatracker - Robert

Robert via email: This work is very close to ready for merge. Rich Salz is reviewing the current branch.

Robert: This is about the external URL resource thing the Datatracker already has. The initial use for this will be identifying the GitHub repositories we need to back up. Rich is reviewing the current branch and working on the initial migration. 

Rich: I'll have initial feedback to you before this weekend.

   - Github backups - Robert

Robert via email: We will use Martin Thompson's and Mike Bishop's scripts for backup. If we can integrate the external resource work this month, we'll use it as the source of repositories to make backups of and start those backups this month. If there is a delay on the external resource work, we'll look at a temporary measure to identify the repositories needing backup.  There are still improvements needed to the scripts to capture the content of open pull requests. Martin and Mike will be working on those as volunteers.

Robert: One thing we don't have is getting the code diffs of the pull requests. They'll be working on this as volunteers. I am hoping we'll start running these before the next tools call. Trying to see if we can get the external resource work integrated into trunk so we can use that as the source of truth on what to back up. If there's a delay, we can build a temporary workaround for that.

3. Operations Projects
   - Are there any upcoming operations changes that need
     coordination with this team?

Robert: Without Glen on the call, I don't know that we can talk about this here. I'll follow up by email to see if there is anything.

Russ: The only thing I know about is the YANG 2 containerization that was in the email.


4. Planning for upcoming projects
   - Exploring fronting web services with nginx - Robert

Robert via email: I was unavailable to help Glen on this project most of May. We plan to start in again on this now.


   - Revising html/css/template structure for the website - Greg

Robert: What we have right now is really unmanageable and we have a start for an RFP on this so we end up with something we can edit and manage ourselves.


   - Improving filtering for customized ical feeds -  Robert

Robert via email: We are planning to address this need with a small contracted project.

Robert: Especially for the upcoming meetings page, things like wanting to only see the WGs you're interested in. Also want to change the filter on the regular meeting page to use something other than the segment identifier we are currently using because it conflicts with other uses of the segment identifiers. This will be something we have a small contracted project on during this cycle.


   - Moving the datatracker to postgresql - Robert

Robert via email: This is the next major change to the datatracker after the django2 work completes. We will likely wait to start on it to give Henrik time to help move the documentation of the v3 vocabulary forward.

Robert: Will probably delay the migration of this until that is fairly settled. 

5. Are there any unmet needs?
   - Open discussion

6. Any Other Business

Robert: Is everyone more comfortable continuing to use Webex, or is there a preference for moving to Zoom, or a lack of preference for Zoom?

Roman: Webex is easier for me.

Éric: For me, it's pretty obvious.

Robert: Thank you for taking the time. If there is anything else to discuss, please send mail to the list, otherwise I will see you all online, and thank you for your help.