[TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Notes for 12Feb tools call

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Fri, 08 February 2019 16:51 UTC

To: IETF Tools Development <tools-development@ietf.org>
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 10:51:16 -0600
Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Notes for 12Feb tools call

Notes for Tuesday's (12 Feb) tools call:

# Datatracker #

The improvements to the group feature models have been released - see
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/release>.

The next major focus will be on changing the way the datatracker sends
email to stop appearing to spoof the From value. We have also increased
the priority of shifting the datatracker to python 3. (Note that python
2 will be officially deprecated and will no longer receive maintenance
starting next January).

See <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/trunk/PLAN>
and
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/MergePlan?action=diff&version=98&old_version=97>

# Mail Archives #

Turning off mhonarc has gone very smoothly.

There are a large number of private lists that have used or still use
the built-in mailman archiver, pipermail. We are beginning an analysis
of what it will take to stop generating those, and what redirects into
the mailarchive system should look like. Currently, the thinking is to
redirect each pipermail archive to the top level of the analogous
mailarchive archive.

# IETF Website #

Torchbox has completed their last major deliverable (upgrading the
website to a more modern version of wagtail). There are a small number
of tickets related to documentation and requests for information we
should have before shifting the code into our own public code
repository. Note that the wagtail project continues to issue new
releases. The project with torchbox brought us to wagtail 2.2.2. The
current release now is 2.4.

However, we are blocked on deploying this latest deliverable. The way we
are serving python applications via Apache right now (mod_wsgi) only
allows the use of one version of python. Many of our applications are on
Python 2.7 right now. This includes the datatracker and the mailarchive.
Wagtail, on the other hand, dropped support for python 2.7 at Wagtail
2.0. Waiting until we have all exisiting deployed applications ported to
python 3 to deploy the deliverable from Torchbox is exceedingly
suboptimal. It will delay the current plan for the tools-team to take
over maintenance of the website code and start adding features the
secretariat has asked for. We've started conversations about what other
options we have besides waiting for everything to be ported to python 3.

# Yangcatalog #

We've shifted the plan for short-term deployment and development to
occur using the existing externally hosted server.

# Format tools and Accepting v3 xml into the ID Repository #

All of the format tools have been released and have been in testing by
the RPC.

We are evaluating a commercial PDF/A-3 conversion tool from a company
that is willing to donate a license. We have found no open-source
alternatives that are acceptable.

The IESG is ready to accept v3 documents into the ID Repository as soon
as the tools team believes the infrastructure is ready to handle it. We
have a small number of things to address before opening the repository:

* The preptool needs to be modified to inline SVG as artwork (instead of
as a data URI) when there is already an ascii-art artwork alternative
available. This is driven by a goal of accepting only a single prepped
file into the repository, rather than solving the problem of accepting
an xml file and a set of related SVG files.

* There are still features of the revised IDNits to complete, and it
needs to be integrated with the submission tool on the datatracker.

* A v3 howto should exist when we open the ID repository. The RPC is
working towards training materials that might have content that could be
leveraged.

At the moment, other priorities make it unlikely that this will all be
in place before Prague's ID-deadline (11 Mar), but I think it's likely
this will be ready shortly after the Prague meeting.

# RFPs #

## Open / Out for Bid ##

The yangcatalog RFP is currently out for bid. Responses are due today
(8Feb).

## In Development ##

The meeting application improvement SoW is essentially ready to issue.

I have text from Ekr to work into the RPC security code review SoW. The
RPC has asked that we hold off issuing that RFP until some changes
related to the new format are better integrated into their repository so
that the review focuses more on the code that will actually be used.

The Inline-Errata SoW is still under review and has several unresolved
comments. The lastest version is at
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T-6eBrNPC7aIxOTChdIZE7fecbxUJ7kq-F6RhyCNUGI/edit>.
One of the major observations in the comments is that this project is
focusing on the existing (old-format) publication format, and is not
targetting or taking advantage of the new format in any way. That's
intentional. We need to have some run-time experience with the new
format before we can sensibly ask a contractor to work on inlining
errata into it. We plan to learn from this project, and apply what we
learn into the new format with a future project.

The next SoW to be developed is for IANA expert review tracking.