Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Draft of inline-errata SoW

Heather Flanagan <rse@rfc-editor.org> Thu, 31 January 2019 23:18 UTC

From: Heather Flanagan <rse@rfc-editor.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 15:17:58 -0800
Cc: Sandy Ginoza <sginoza@amsl.com>, IETF Tools Development <tools-development@ietf.org>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Subject: Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Draft of inline-errata SoW

> On Jan 31, 2019, at 12:44 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:20 PM Heather Flanagan <rse@rfc-editor.org <mailto:rse@rfc-editor.org>> wrote:
> Hi ekr,
>
> I understand your point, but must disagree - these documents will not be fully archived,
>
> I don't see how this is relevant. In my hypothetical, the version which is "fully archived" is simply wrong (and in fact, self-contradictory), so it's not sensible to talk about having normative status on that point.

It is relevant because the RFC Series is as much about archiving formally approved documents as it is making those documents available. The archived documents may include information which has proven to be wrong, but the information is not corrected until we have a new document published.

> and the verification process is outside the consensus process (which I think is important for IETF documents).
>
> This seems like an interesting point, but is actually mitigated by the fact that if the approver makes a mistake, we can change the erratum again.

Yes, true, but that is isn’t required to flow through any kind of consensus process.

> Taking a step back: an RFC -- at least a protocol specification --  is a set of instructions for how to implement a protocol. And what people need to know is how to actually implement the protocol. And when there is a clear error in the specification that doesn't match how the specification is being interpreted in practice, then it isn't helpful to act as if the error has normative force. The question is what the best interpretation of the RFC is at a given time.

I get that, and am very sympathetic to that point. That’s why I’m in favor of creating these annotated RFCs in the first place, as an aid to both implementers and future -bis authors. But the annotated RFCs are a moving target with an insufficient consensus process for change, making them something I’m not willing to include as an official, normative output within the RFC Series.

-Heather