Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Notes -- 10 September

Liz Flynn <> Wed, 11 September 2019 21:45 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id 86741120058 for <>; Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:45:36 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -4.198
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-4.198 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-2.3, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id dkigi4w_cUlX for <>; Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( []) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ADH-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 8F503120090 for <>; Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id C528820334C; Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:43:43 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id NTpU6Cign1kA; Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:43:43 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( []) by (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 6AC7720334B; Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:43:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Liz Flynn <>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="Apple-Mail=_53CBDD30-E08D-4DE9-A191-F41F0AF3E9DC"
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 10.3 \(3273\))
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:45:32 -0700
References: <> <> <>
To: "" <>, Russ Housley <>
In-Reply-To: <>
Message-Id: <>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.3273)
Archived-At: <>
Subject: Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Call Notes -- 10 September
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Tools Development list server <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 21:45:37 -0000

Hi everyone,

Below are my notes from yesterday’s tools call. 

Liz Flynn
Project Manager / IETF


Tools Call Notes -- 10 September 2019 at 1:00 Eastern

1. Datatracker Projects
  - Expected Datatracker Releases -- Robert and Henrik
  - Python2 to Python3 transition – Henrik

Henrik: The next step will be taken when we have transitioned to the next version OS on the servers and when we have everything containerized or running under Python 3. The main waiting point is Trac, which we still don’t know if it will be released under 3 in time for us. Most likely the next work item is to containerize Trac. 

  - Meeting Application Improvements by IOLA – Robert

Robert: IOLA is still planning to complete the project by the date they had bid but they have been short on time.

  - Datatracker maintenance by DashCare – Robert

The developer is in a good place and they expect to have the project completed on time.

  - IRSG balloting -- Robert

Akayla has been working on this and had a slow start. We’ve turned the bend and started with a reasonable pace of progress. We’ve updated the delivery time to be right around the time of IETF 106. 

2. Community & Other Projects
  - WWW search to provide additional pointers -- Greg
    -- Give pointers to datatracker and mailarchive

Russ: Last time we talked about doing search over WWW, the datatracker, and the mail archive. That has been moved to the parking lot. Now, when you do a search on WWW you’ll get pointers to additional information in the datatracker and mail archive. This was fairly quick and the other thing is a tougher project. It will be implemented very shortly if it hasn’t been already. 

Robert: It will be in the next release or two of the website. 

3. RFC Services Projects
  - RPC testing of new RFC format tools -- Heather and Robert

Heather: There is only one outstanding piece to test, re the metadata when a document has been obsoleted. Next week we’ll be ready to publish in v3. XML to RFC output is so close that we’re still on target for next week. 

Russ: Idea is that starting with documents approved by a stream next week, those will be v3 through the whole process? The ones already approved will be v2?

Alice: Documentss that are in auth48 will go into an auth48 round 2 and move to v3.  There are less than a handful of docs that will be published in v2. points to transition details (

  - Security Review of RPC Tools -- Robert and Heather

Robert: The directory structure in the details of the SOW needs to be updated. I will talk with Priyanka and re-circulate the SOW.

  - Rendering errata in more useful way -- Robert
    -- How will it be deployed on

The beta of now includes errata. They can be linked from the Datatracker soon. Heather will talk to Alice and Sandy about the format of the errata and the URL; if “beta” should stay in the URL, which will require redirects later, or if the URL should be changed now. The errata pages can always be regenerated if people have a lot of suggestions for feature requests.

4. Server Infrastructure
  - IESG discussions of DMARC -- Henrik and Alexey
    -- When do we expect the next release of OpenARC? Ever?

Henrik: We will probably see OpenARC but maybe not soon. During the last IETF the code we need was written. It’s maybe being tested and it’s maybe been committed, but there’s no release. I will poke them again.

5. YANG Catalog
  - Putting in a Docker container – Robert

The main developer does not have more time available for us but is making progress. See for progress. Containerization is in the middle of the list of priorities.

  - Adding features from the yangvalidator project – Eric

Eric: We have someone committed for .5 day a week to build unit tests. Work is underway.
I’ve done nothing regarding yang validator yet. 

  - It redirects to

Right now this is just being redirected to It’s up to the LLC to decide if they want to do something else with it. This will be taken off the agenda for future calls unless there is something new to do with it. 

7. Parking Lot
  - Search over www, datatracker, and mailarchive

8. AOB

> On Sep 10, 2019, at 7:13 AM, Greg Wood <> wrote:
> I may not make the call today, so some further update on these items:
>> On Sep 9, 2019, at 11:33 AM, Robert Sparks <> wrote:
>>> 2. Community & Other Projects
>>>   - WWW search to provide additional pointers -- Greg
>>>     -- Give pointers to datatracker and mailarchive
> Robert and Russ and I discussed an approach. This Google Doc provides additional details:
>> The www project got a lot of attention from me this month, with a release (v0.9.7) that moved the IESG statement to live under the IESG pages instead of with the blog pages.
>> The site also had some significant performance issues that took time to diagnose and address. While diagnosing, we identified several major changes that need to be made to the way the website currently serves blog pages. These are being tracked at (in particular issues 10 and 11) and will be addressed in upcoming releases. Greg will be entering several other requests (including analytics integration) as issues soon.
> I’ve added several items. Once the analytics proposal has finished up community review, I’ll add that, too.
> Let me know if more info would be helpful.
> -Greg
> _______________________________________________
> TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT mailing list