Re: [Tools-discuss] [Gendispatch] Updating the IETF Discussion List Charter (was: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-eggert-bcp45bis-02.txt)

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Sun, 18 July 2021 22:19 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:19:40 +1200
Cc: GENDISPATCH List <gendispatch@ietf.org>, tools-discuss@ietf.org
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] [Gendispatch] Updating the IETF Discussion List Charter (was: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-eggert-bcp45bis-02.txt)

When it comes to letting people select the information that they want to get notified about, the concept of a list such as ietf-announce is perhaps a bit out of date.  Nowadays people simply use a form to say, I want this, this and that delivered to this mailbox and that to that mailbox and none of that please.  Behind the scenes this would probably best be implemented with API populated Mailman lists and possibly topics and I’m sure people would want the from address to be stay as ietf-announce@ietf.org <mailto:ietf-announce@ietf.org>, but it might actually be several lists in the background.

Jay