Re: [Tools-discuss] Early preview of upcoming changes to the agenda pages

Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org> Thu, 16 June 2022 12:51 UTC

From: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 14:51:04 +0200
Cc: tools-discuss <tools-discuss@ietf.org>, Nick <nick@staff.ietf.org>
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Early preview of upcoming changes to the agenda pages

This looks great - clean, simple and functional.  There are lots of things I like.  Some comments and suggestions (Safari 15.5 on MacOS 12.4):

# Minor stuff with the agenda table:

1.  The font size on the time column on the left is just slightly too big as there is plenty of space on my screen for the times to be on a single line but they all wrap.  Setting it to 0.9rem in .agenda-table-cell-ts has them on one line (was 1rem).

2.  The icons for materials etc are too small and the wrapping of them is confusing (the clear horizontal association between them and the session they apply to is lost).  I would make them much bigger, taking space from the session title which just has less space before it has to wrap. I would also adjust the hover action so that it triggers a highlight of the entire row as well as the icon, because the space between the icon and the title can be quite long for the eye to cover at times and a background highlight providers guardrails for the eye.

3.  It would be really, really nice to collapse/expand each day and the morning/afternoon session groups

4.  I’m not convinced on the need for floor lozenges - feels like using prime real estate for low priority information.

5.  It would be useful to have a visual hint about what text is linked and what isn’t (I don’t mean make it blue and underlined).  Perhaps the linked text could be slightly darker - I note that the Location text is already lighter than the Event text so perhaps have it the same if it is linked and leave it lighter where it isn’t (e.g. "Yard and Park Ensemble").

6.  It would be nice if hovering over a WG name showed the first ~10 lines of the charter in a card.

# More major stuff with the overall page structure

7.  It would be useful for the agenda infonote (<div class="agenda-infonote …">) could be dismissable with a cross in the top right hand corner and then redisplayed by clicking on an "i" (info) button next to "Schedule".

8.  I think the "Calendar View" action needs a bit of a rejig - the model here should be that calendar view is an alternate way of displaying the schedule, not an alternate structure for the whole page  That means that the calendar view should replace the agenda table only, leaving everything else as is (i.e. the contents of <div class="agenda-table …">).  The UI action for that would normally be something like a button pair just to the right of "Schedule" (e.g. "List | Calendar" where one is always selected).  Replacing the agenda table this way means that you don’t need to reintroduce the filter buttons (which currently are in a different place on the calendar view) and the timezone selections.

9.  The "Filter Areas + Groups", "Pick Sessions" and Search buttons would be better in one horizontal line above the table and below the info-note.  Allowing people to dismiss the infonote (7 above) means there is enough space for this.  That way they don’t disappear when the screen size changes (they might need to stack but that’s not an issue). They also stay in the same place if the calendar view is changed (8 above).  Also, I strongly recommend keeping those three the same colour as different colours implies something different about how they work, when there isn’t such a difference.  If space becomes an issue on mobile then make this a collapsible section and auto-collapse it.

(Note: if you choose to keep the filter/calendar sidebar then it needs a title otherwise "Filter Areas + Groups…" looks like a title and not an action button).

10.  We can lose the "Jump to" functionality.  The agenda being linear, is quicker to scroll and collapsing/expanding (3 above) by day makes it even easier.

11.  The "Add to your calendar" can go where the current search icon is and then if you also implement 8-10 above, the right hand sidebar goes completely.

[One thing to consider for later, is what are the use cases for filtering/picking?  If the overwhelming use case for this is to create a personalised calendar then we could perhaps rephrase some of the action in terms of that - Choose my schedule, Download my schedule, etc.  No need to do that now though].

cheers
Jay