Re: [Tools-discuss] datatracker, I-Ds, and email addresses

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 31 May 2023 19:11 UTC

Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:11:23 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
cc: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] datatracker, I-Ds, and email addresses

Jay,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Not what I intended to
suggest, or at least I hope not.  As I think about it and read
your, Robert's, and Brian's later notes, I think there are two
separate issues.

(1) On the pagers that are our primary reference / anchor points
for I-Ds, typically
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/DOCUMENTNAME, the email address
listed for an author should reflect whatever is in that I-D.
The only circumstances in which the system(s) should be looking
for another address (e.g., from the profile page for a given
author) is, maybe, if the I-D does not include an email address
for that author.  Whether the submission tool should allow I-Ds
to be posted that do not have email addresses for all authors is
somewhat more subtle question because there are legitimate cases
of that (in some cases there there should not be an email
address on the author's profile page either).

(2) I don't know that it is ever wise to update information on
an author's profile page and what those circumstances might be.
I do think it might be helpful to notice when an I-D shows a
different address than what is listed in the profile (if there
is even an email address there) and query the author as to
whether the profile should be updated with the new address.

I assume it follows that I don't believe it is desirable for
addresses on a document page (as in (1)) to ever be updated.  If
someone is looking for a "most current" address, rather than the
one in the document, let them check the profile.  If an author's
address changes while an I-D is active and they want to be
reachable, let then submit a new I-D with the address updated.
Finally, while I think it is far less important than the email
address, I believe that the presentation form of the author's
name on the I-D document page should reflect the author's name
in the document as well.  It is fine for there to be a link to
the profile associated with the author's name even if the name
in the profile is slightly different, but the name on the
"Author(s)" line on the document page should match the document.

Is that more clear?

thanks,
   john

--On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 10:35 +0100 Jay Daley