Re: [Tools-discuss] some more meetecho thoughts

Alexandre Petrescu <> Tue, 16 March 2021 09:27 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id A35983A2005 for <>; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 02:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: 0.648
X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.648 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED=0.001, FORGED_GMAIL_RCVD=1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, NICE_REPLY_A=-0.001, NML_ADSP_CUSTOM_MED=0.9, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H4=-0.01, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL=-0.01, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_SOFTFAIL=0.665, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id H3-17kazhk-U for <>; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 02:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( []) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 211513A2004 for <>; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 02:27:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( []) by (8.14.7/8.14.7/CEAnet-Internet-out-4.0) with ESMTP id 12G9R5Av022589; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100
Received: from (localhost []) by localhost (Postfix) with SMTP id C87F22048D6; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100 (CET)
Received: from ( []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id BA4D1202EF4; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100 (CET)
Received: from [] ([]) by (8.14.7/8.14.7/CEAnet-Internet-out-4.0) with ESMTP id 12G9R5dN018651; Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100
To: Michael Richardson <>,
References: <10380.1615562014@localhost>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <>
Message-ID: <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.8.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <10380.1615562014@localhost>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: fr
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Archived-At: <>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] some more meetecho thoughts
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: IETF Tools Discussion <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 09:27:19 -0000

Le 12/03/2021 à 16:13, Michael Richardson a écrit :
> Some thoughts/refinements.  I think we are supposed to post them here, right?
> 1) when the participants clicks on the _share screen_ button that it should
>     immediately ask the participant to select the window to share, but just
>     not transmit until the chair gives them the media slot.
>     Ideally, showing the participant what they are transmitting.

As a side note, it is a good idea that can be tried to give the 
presenter the possibility to share the screen.

In detail there are two things: slide advancement and mouse pointing.

The slide advancement can be done by chairs listening to indications 
from presenter saying 'next slide please'.

But the pointing with the mouse is best done by the presenter.  The 
presenter moves the pointer to the relevant parts of the screen that 
/she talks about.  I find that way of presenting to be useful for listeners.

This pointing with the mouse could be achieved naturally by the 
presenter if it is her who shares the screen (not the Chairs), or it can 
be a new 'pointer sharing' button similar to 'screen sharing'.

>     This would eliminate many of the delays in switching presenters.
>     (Unified slide decks are good, but not always better if the agenda is more
>     fluid.)
>     But, I think, the more important thing is that it would allow participants
>     to sort out the local permissions, browser compatibility, etc. and they
>     could do this if they wanted, in the three minutes before the meeting starts.
>     It might also be good if multiple slide sharers could be "on deck", with
>     the chair switching between them.  {Personally, I'd even like to have
>     multiple windows shared and swap between them fast, but that's perhaps too
>     esoteric.}

This mechanism could be tried too.

> 2) it would be really cool if the chairs could see a preview of the share
>     before they agree, but that's really not required :-)
> 3) could chairs give presentation permission to a participant before they
>     ask? that seems to occupy 10s of back and forth in some meetings.
>     Yes, that's an interaction with (1).
> 4) of course, doing it the BBB way, projecting PDF from a server, and
>     allowing the mouse to hover, even draw, is WAY better, so (1) above is
>     really only important if this isn't coming.

Yes - for the drawing part - a pointer sharing option (mouse sharing).
> 5) I'd sure like to put all the video frames under my slides.
>     Others might disagree, but that seems to fit my screen real-estate better.
>     I want the slides bigger.

6) the presenter should see the videos of attendees (like in a real 
room), and the attendees should see the video of the presenter (also, 
like in a real room).  Right now we have mostly the videos of Chairs 
most of the time.  It works well when it is the Chairs who talk, and 
their guidance is probably the most important out of a meeting.  But 
this way of working (see mostly the Chair videos) can some times be 
confusing, and even provoke some problems some times.

7) there should be an option of a compiled version of meetecho so I can 
try it outside the browser.  I suspect there might be some performance 
problems because of running inside some particular browser.  I can never 
know until I try.


> ----
> While we've had training session for chairs, and some for participants, it's
> not enough I think.
> It would be great if there was a room online, perhaps configured for 5
> participants max, where the first person to arrive gets chair permission.
> (And maybe the room would reboot every hour or so)
> If nothing else, that would let mentoring on the tool occur.
> --
> Michael Richardson <>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
>             Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide
> ___________________________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list -
> This list is for discussion, not for action requests or bug reports.
> * Report datatracker and mailarchive bugs to:
> * Report bugs to:
> * Report all other bugs or issues to:
> List info (including how to Unsubscribe):