Re: [Tools-discuss] some more meetecho thoughts

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 16 March 2021 09:27 UTC

To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, tools-discuss@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:27:05 +0100
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] some more meetecho thoughts

Le 12/03/2021 à 16:13, Michael Richardson a écrit :

> Some thoughts/refinements.  I think we are supposed to post them here, right?
>
> 1) when the participants clicks on the _share screen_ button that it should
>     immediately ask the participant to select the window to share, but just
>     not transmit until the chair gives them the media slot.
>     Ideally, showing the participant what they are transmitting.

As a side note, it is a good idea that can be tried to give the
presenter the possibility to share the screen.

In detail there are two things: slide advancement and mouse pointing.

The slide advancement can be done by chairs listening to indications
from presenter saying 'next slide please'.

But the pointing with the mouse is best done by the presenter.  The
presenter moves the pointer to the relevant parts of the screen that
/she talks about.  I find that way of presenting to be useful for listeners.

This pointing with the mouse could be achieved naturally by the
presenter if it is her who shares the screen (not the Chairs), or it can
be a new 'pointer sharing' button similar to 'screen sharing'.

>     This would eliminate many of the delays in switching presenters.
>     (Unified slide decks are good, but not always better if the agenda is more
>     fluid.)
>
>     But, I think, the more important thing is that it would allow participants
>     to sort out the local permissions, browser compatibility, etc. and they
>     could do this if they wanted, in the three minutes before the meeting starts.
>
>     It might also be good if multiple slide sharers could be "on deck", with
>     the chair switching between them.  {Personally, I'd even like to have
>     multiple windows shared and swap between them fast, but that's perhaps too
>     esoteric.}

This mechanism could be tried too.

> 2) it would be really cool if the chairs could see a preview of the share
>     before they agree, but that's really not required :-)
>
> 3) could chairs give presentation permission to a participant before they
>     ask? that seems to occupy 10s of back and forth in some meetings.
>     Yes, that's an interaction with (1).
>
> 4) of course, doing it the BBB way, projecting PDF from a server, and
>     allowing the mouse to hover, even draw, is WAY better, so (1) above is
>     really only important if this isn't coming.

Yes - for the drawing part - a pointer sharing option (mouse sharing).

> 5) I'd sure like to put all the video frames under my slides.
>     Others might disagree, but that seems to fit my screen real-estate better.
>     I want the slides bigger.

6) the presenter should see the videos of attendees (like in a real
room), and the attendees should see the video of the presenter (also,
like in a real room).  Right now we have mostly the videos of Chairs
most of the time.  It works well when it is the Chairs who talk, and
their guidance is probably the most important out of a meeting.  But
this way of working (see mostly the Chair videos) can some times be
confusing, and even provoke some problems some times.

7) there should be an option of a compiled version of meetecho so I can
try it outside the browser.  I suspect there might be some performance
problems because of running inside some particular browser.  I can never
know until I try.

Alex