Re: [Tools-discuss] structured contributor section --- auto-reference to DT/Person?

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 29 October 2020 22:33 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, tools-discuss <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 18:33:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] structured contributor section --- auto-reference to DT/Person?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> wrote:
    > Indeed i did wanted to have the structured contributor section to make
    > such automation easier. No idea if tools team or Jari actually do benefit
    > from it today though. Tools teal doesn't seem to capture contirbutors for
    > stats, and i guess Jari is doing lots of pattern matching.

Yes, he is.

    > So, are you suggesting that the tools team should add to the list of
    > RFC "authored" on a datatracker person page also the list of draft/RFC
    > contributed to ?

I dunno: there were lots of objections last year, but a major one was what
about the previous 8000 RFCs?  So, it would be nice if could fix this for the
next 8000.

    > If yes, then +1. As a WG chair i think any incentives we can give to get
    > more contributors is highly desirable for IETF.

That's what I hope.

    >> On the contributor side, it would be nice if they knew that their name was
    >> there, in part so that they could object!

    > Except i don't buy the "they could object" part. I don't think one
    > should add contributors without having a good upfront understanding
    > that its a) true, and b) welcome. And then of course also send

With such strong connection, I could get a notice when my name goes in.
That would allow errors to be corrected.
It could be that they got the wrong person. (Do you who actor "Michael Richards" is?)

There have been cases where people have inserted co-authors to attempt to
imply approval!

    >> So I'm thinking that it would be cool if we could do something like:
    >>
    >> <?ietf-dt include="bugsbunny@loneytunes.example" ?>
    >> [Not sure how I'd do this in kramdown. New "ietfdtemail:" tag or something]
    >>
    >> to get the contributor and/or author information sucked in documents.

    > Would be good if this would equally work for acknowledgements, except
    > that only the name would show up in the rendered output.

Exactly.

    > No idea about your formatting proposal, but getting stuff automatically from email addresses
    > would be great. Just lets make sure we don't eliminate support for non-email address
    > based acks/contributors. Heck, we even have authors for which we do not have
    > email addresses published (e.g.: retireees like Steve Deering, rfc8200).

Of course, you can just write out the full contributor part as we do now
instead of using the include magic.

    > A followup question would then be if/how we might want to render
    > hotlink capable output formats: Include URL to datatracker page of the person ?

Nobody lets me do UX since I started using Dark Golden Rod as my background.

    >> This is just stuff to code, no changes to the XML scheme required, AFAIK.

    > Is there an API on datatracker to look up a person from an email address
    > so a renderer could find a person that way ? Could be used both
    > from the kramdown script as well as from a later renderer.

Yes, I think that there is already.
And I think the DT has some GDRP controls on it already.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )