Re: [Tools-discuss] [Manycouches] Proposal to discontinue live mp3 audio streams at IETF meetings

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 06 October 2020 10:05 UTC

To: "Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" <julien.maisonneuve@nokia.com>, Tom Pusateri <pusateri=40bangj.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: "tools-discuss@ietf.org" <tools-discuss@ietf.org>, "manycouches@ietf.org" <manycouches@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 12:05:53 +0200
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] [Manycouches] Proposal to discontinue live mp3 audio streams at IETF meetings

Le 05/10/2020 à 18:19, Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) a
écrit :
> We shouldn't focus too hard on the implementation of the audio feeds, it's a technical problem that can be solved.
> The hard part is how this is exposed to users, and what tools are available along with the necessary configuration (hopefully small or nonexistent).
> Ideally clicking on a link in the meeting webpages should enable listening to the audio feed with no prerequisite at all, regardless of your device's platform. If this is not possible there should be an easy walkthrough of what needs to be done depending on the platform.
> Adding Opus to the conversation could be nice, but may contradict the "ideal" scenario above (e.g. do ALL browsers support Opus ?).

The question of browser support, and its details, is relevant.  For
example, meetecho is best supported by Chrome and less by Firefox (lacks
device switching).  That might prevent some people from using meetecho
instead of installing Chrome.  Which translates directly into preventing
them from participating to IETF.

For opus - firefox does support opus, it seems.

Mp3 might be a format that, despite its longevity, might not be
supported by some browsers because of the licensing scheme.

Other than browsers, there also the players: there are many players of
live streams out there, which are not web browsers.  Many of these
players dont support mp3.

Alex