Re: [Tools-discuss] Early preview of upcoming changes to the agenda pages

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 21 June 2022 16:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:08:02 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>, Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
cc: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>, tools-discuss <tools-discuss@ietf.org>, Nick <nick@staff.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Early preview of upcoming changes to the agenda pages

--On Thursday, June 16, 2022 17:21 +0200 Jay Daley
<exec-director@ietf.org> wrote:

>> On 16 Jun 2022, at 16:28, Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Jay Daley writes:
>>> [One thing to consider for later, is what are the use cases
>>> for filtering/picking?  If the overwhelming use case for
>>> this is to create a personalised calendar then we could
>>> perhaps rephrase some of the action in terms of that -
>>> Choose my schedule, Download my schedule, etc.  No need to
>>> do that now though].
>>
>> I think the tools.ietf.org agenda tool coloring was much
>> better way of making personalized agenda. I always went
>> through the agenda, picking the important things with one
>> color, another color for those session which might be
>> interesting and so on. Then when I checked the agenda, if
>> there was anything with important color, then I went there,
>> if not I picked one of the interesting ones. If there was no
>> color, then I went to read my emails :-)
>>
>> I also used one color to indicate which meetings I actually
>> ended up, that made it bit easier to write reports later,
>> when you can see where you ended up and try to remember
>> whether there was anything useful there or not.
>
> That's a great use case - thank you.  I think a modern
> reimplementation would use selectable statuses each of which
> could have a colour or an icon assigned, but much the same
> functionality.

Jay,

There is an important hint in Tero's description of his use case
(perhaps oddly, I've used colors in almost exactly the same way)
and I don't know how it would interact with selectable statuses.
He (and I) code meetings with something like "importance to
attend" and then adjust the colors depending on what was
actually attended.  Someone else might want to code them by
whether they were presenting or not, by whether or not special
preparations were needed and how close they were to complete, by
how controversial the session was going to be and whether
measures to reduce the level of stress might be needed, or any
of a series of other things.  If those selectable statuses were
preassigned names, they might be more confusing than helpful.
If they were not, or the names were ignored, we would be more or
less back to picking colors rather than status categories.

Perhaps I don't properly understand where "modern" comes in but,
if there is a choice between it and functionality, flexibility,
and efficiency for IETF participants using things like agenda
pages, I think we should choose the latter almost every time.

best,
   john