Re: [Tools-discuss] The future of "Interim" meetings

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 15 April 2020 14:58 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 10:58:37 -0400
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] The future of "Interim" meetings

    > If we're going to continue or increase us of virtual WG/RG(/side)
    > meetings for some time, then conflict management or some form of
    > planning coordination would become more crucial.

Yes, I agree.

In addition, some increase in social pressure on the chairs to get all the
meeting information into the agenda that's on the DT is important.

Chairs are getting better, but some still don't seem to get it.
There was talk about an agenda builder interface, which I thought was
excessive hand-holding before, but I now think may be worthwhile.

Some other things that we could benefit from:

1) incorporate doodle, or doodle-like functionality
   (in particular, having it integrate against my calendar is key to being
   able to answer well.  Having Doodle reserve slots in my calendar until the
   decision is made is also really useful to help me avoid double bookings)

2) calendar entries that one can subscribe to/be-invited to, such that WG chairs can know
   who is coming, and who is going to be absent.  It may be better to defer
   some conversations (especially if it's only two weeks to the next virtual
   interim), than try to have a conversation without key people present.

3) webex is inadequate for our needs as is.
   - We need slides delivered in PDF to the viewers, that can contain clickable
   links, that can be advanced by the speaker, but which do not depend upon
   the speaker's computer to provide.
   Webex java APP had bits of this, locked into Windows platform support, but
   it never worked well, and it was not cross-platform.
   - better support for local audio problem debug

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-